Thanks for joining Sarah and me for Meatless Monday today. Happy Labor Day and Happy National Tofu Day! This is an “encore” post of one of my favorite tofu dishes. This Sheet Pan Sweet and Spicy Tofu with Vegetables comes together in just minutes. Full of flavor and fresh veggies it’s perfect for a busy school night.
Sheet Pan Sweet and Spicy Tofu with Vegetables
Over the years, a few of you have commented that you are intimidated to make tofu. I am here to tell you not to fear the tofu! It’s very easy to prepare tasty and healthy tofu and pretty hard to mess it up. In my opinion, the key to fabulous tasting tofu with a great texture is to dunk it in a little corn starch before cooking it. This allows it to develop a delicious tasting crust while keeping the inside moist.
Some of my favorite veggies to use for pan roasting are red and yellow peppers. The flavors really pop with roasting. Onions and broccoli are always great additions to any meal. Feel free to use which ever veggies you have on hand to use up. That’s what makes this Sweet and Spicy Tofu with vegetables such an easy meal. Just throw in all the veggies that you have left from the week.
So what makes them sweet and spicy? Honey is the star ingredient as it gives some caramelization to the tofu and the veggies. I like to use a hot honey for a little kick but any 100% honey will do. The marinade can be adjusted to your spice levels by using more or less chili paste (Sambal). You may also like this Sheet Pan Eggplant and cous cous dinner.
A zesty blend of crispy baked tofu and roasted veggies all done on a sheet pan for a quick and easy weeknight meal
- 14 oz package of extra firm tofu (drained) cut into desired size
- 1 red and 1 yellow pepper quatered
- 1/2 pound of asparagus
- head of broccoli
- 1/2 onion
- 1 Cup of Shitake or mushroom of choice
- Tofu coating:
- 1 egg
- handful of corn starch
- 1 C Panko bread crumb
- 1/2 C Rice Vinegar
- 1/4 C honey (hot or regular)
- 3-4 Tbl of Sambal (chili paste)
- Splash of soy sauce
- juice of one lime
- tsp chopped ginger
- Tbl chopped garlic
- preheat oven to 375
- drizzle sheet pan with olive oil
- set up 1 plate w corn starch, 1 with egg, 1 panko
- take each piece of tofu and coat w corn starch then egg then panko
- Add tofu to sheet pan drizzle on some honey
- bake for 20 min
- In meantime-whisk together all marinade ingredients
- Prep veggies
- Remove sheet pan from oven and flip over tofu
- Add veggies to sheet pan
- drizzle on 2/3 of marinade
- return to oven and bake 15 min
- Remove and drizzle w remaining marinade
- Serve with rice
Hope this easy Sheet Pan Sweet and Spicy Tofu with Vegetables gives you some inspiration on a busy weeknight. It is one of my go to meals and it never disappoints. What is your go to meal on a busy night?