Thanks for joining Sarah and me for Meatless Monday today. If you’ve been following along the past few weeks, you know I’ve been crazy busy of late. Graduation festivities have had me running around like a crazy person. I am loving quick and easy dinners that fill me up with lots of plant based goodness. Today, I am sharing my Easy, Summer Falafel Salad Bowl. Hope you love it as much as I did.
Easy Summer Falafel Salad Bowl
Perhaps inspired by my daughter’s return from her study abroad in Tel Aviv, I had a serious falafel craving this week. Traditionally, falafel is a fried “meatball” of sorts made from chick peas and yummy spices. Usually served in a pita sandwich. I took all the goodness of a traditional falafel and made it a tad healthier and whole lot easier to whip up. This summer falafel bowl is easy enough for a weeknight meal and perfect for a warm summer night.
Ideas of yummy things to add to your Summer Falafel Bowl:
When it’s so hot and humid outside, I love a great big salad filled with all my favorites for dinner. Of course, you could also serve this Summer Falafel Bowl in a pita pocket or on top of rice for a more filling meal. They also make great leftovers for lunch the next day.
A plant based favorite! Homemade healthy Falafel in a delicious veggie packed bowl. Easy and high protein
- 15 oz can of chick peas (rinsed and drained)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- handful fresh parsley
- handful of fresh cilantro
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 C tahini paste
- 2 Tbl Harissa paste (reduce for less spicy)
- 6Tbl Panko bread crumbs
- salt/pepper to taste
- Suggested toppings:
- tomatoes, cucumbers, tzatziki, hummus, lettuce, rice, harissa
- In a food processor add:
- fresh parsley and cilantro and pulse
- Add in remaining ingredients except for bread crumbs
- pulse until combined but not pureed
- transfer to a mixing bowl add bread crumbs
- Use about 3 Tbl to form each falafel patty
- Heat skillet with olive oil to med high
- cook each patty for about 5 min per side until golden brown
- serve warm on top of salad, rice or in a pita
What’s your favorite meal to serve when it’s super hot out? Falafel lover? Favorite toppings?