Thanks for joining Sarah and me for Meatless Monday today. All of this cold weather has me craving all of my comfort foods. Anything with lots of cheese and sweet potatoes and oh yes all the Mexican flavors is what I am thinking about. Today’s Sweet Potato and Black Bean Skillet Enchiladas checks off Meatless Monday and Taco Tuesday.
Sweet Potato and Black Bean Skillet Enchiladas
I think of this Sweet Potato and Black Bean Skillet Enchiladas as sort of deconstructed enchilada. Because of that, it’s a super easy weeknight meal that you can have on the table in about 40 minutes. Forget about using canned enchilada sauce (unless you really want to) because I am going to tell you how to make your own in about 30 seconds.
While there is nothing wrong with using canned enchilada sauce, it’s often filled with a ton of sodium that you don’t need. Let’s save that sodium for the guac and chips right? With a can of diced tomatoes, a few spices and some chiles in adobo sauce, you’ve made your own tasty enchilada sauce right in your blender. Customize the spiciness level by adding more or less chipotle peppers. Literally 30 second to make. I am kind of obsessed with my Ninja blender and use it for everything.
Sweet potatoes, zucchini and black beans are sauteed in a skillet then blended with your homemade enchilada sauce. Instead of rolling up the filling into tortillas, I’ve simplified the process. By cutting the tortillas into strips and layering them on top of your veggie mixture, you save a ton of time and keep everything all in one pan. Delicious cheese is then sprinkled generously across the top and popped into the oven for 15-20 min. While your Sweet Potato and Black Bean Skillet Enchiladas are cooking, you have time to clean up everything else.
Zucchini, sweet potatoes and black beans melt together in this easy one pan Enchilada supper
- 1 garlic clove -minced
- 1 small onion-diced
- 1 med zucchini-diced
- 1 large or 2 small sweet potatoes
- 1 15 oz can of black beans
- for sauce:
- 15 oz can of diced tomatoes
- dash of garlic powder
- tsp of cumin
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon and pepper
- 2-4 chipotles in adobo sauce (from a can)
- for topping:
- 2-3 corn tortillas small size-cut into strips
- 1 1/2 C shredded cheddar cheese
- avocado, sour cream, cilantro, chips
- preheat oven to 375
- pierce sweet potatoes and microwave for 3 min
- then diced them
- Heat a large skillet and coat with olive oil
- saute onions, garlic, zucchini, sweet potatoes for 5-10 min
- meanwhile add all sauce ingredients into a blender
- pulse until smooth
- Add black beans and sauce to skillet
- mix to combine
- layer tortilla strips on top of skillet
- sprinkle on cheese
- Bake for 15-20 min until cheese is melted
- serve with garnishes
Garnish with avocado (of course!), sour cream, cilantro and pair with some tortilla chips if desired. Perfect all in one skillet hearty and meatless dinner! Hope you enjoy! What’s for dinner at your house tonight?