Thanks for joining me and Sarah for Meatless Monday today! It’s been so cold here lately that I have been craving warm comfort food. During the blizzard a few weeks ago I threw together a delicious Spaghetti Squash Bake that did the trick. It’s very easy to make and eat for a few days.
The most time consuming part of this meal preparation is cooking the spaghetti squash. I prefer to speed up the cooking time by making it in the microwave. It’s very easy to do! Simply slice the spaghetti squash lengthwise and scoop out the seeds. Place face down in a glass casserole dish and add about an inch of water. Cover with plastic wrap and microwave for 10-15 min depending on size of the squash. When the “spaghetti” can easily come out with a fork it’s done. Scoop it out and place into a colander to drain excess water for 10 minutes.
I’ve also included some veggie crumbles to bump up the protein in this dinner. I used the Morningstar brand but any “sausage like” veggie crumbles will work. The small amount of ricotta cheese I’ve used really provides a big bang for the buck adding a creamy, hearty texture that you will love. Hope you enjoy!
Spaghetti Squash Bake
- 1 large spaghetti squash-seeded and cooked
- 1 1/2-2 C of your favorite marinara sauce
- 1 C veggie crumbles
- 1/4 C skim ricotta cheese
- 1 C mozzarella cheese
- salt, pepper, oregano, basil and red pepper to taste
- Cook spaghetti squash and drain for 10 min
- Preheat oven to 375
- Spray a casserole dish with cooking spray
- In a large mixing bowl combine squash, sauce, ricootta, 1/2 of cheese, veggie crumbles and spices
- Add to casserole dish
- Sprinkle remaining cheese on top
- Bake for 30-40 minutes until bubbly and browned on top
This was just what I was looking for! A warm, hearty, healthy vegetarian meal that is sure to please. Enjoy!
What comfort foods are you craving this winter?