Thanks for joining Sarah and me for Meatless Monday today. In my quest to continue to eat seasonally, I’ve come up with another delicious recipe using roasted butternut squash. It’s really such a versatile and healthy veggie, you can do just about anything with it. Often I try to pick a protein first and then create something based on what vegetables I have in the house. I was craving something a little “curry-ish” and spicy and that’s how these Curried Squash & White Bean Vegan Meatballs were developed.
Curried Squash & White Bean Vegan Meatballs
Filled with plant based protein from the white beans, these vegan meatballs are full of flavor and vitamin C. White beans are a fantastic protein to use as they bind really well to the other ingredients and absorb the flavors of the spices easily. Panko bread crumbs help to keep the Curried Squash & White Bean Vegan Meatballs together. A gluten free bread crumb is easily subbed in.
I opted to pan fry these meatballs in olive oil to give them a little more texture. They turned out comparable to a falafel and are similarly delicious paired with Tzitzaki and hummus in a pita or on top of a salad. This batch yielded 12 Curried Squash & White Bean meatballs. Perfect for dinner tonight and leftovers for lunch tomorrow.
I guess I’ve been a little obsessed with butternut squash lately as I keep receiving it in my weekly CSA vegetable box. It is so versatile! I used butternut squash here but any type of squash can easily be swapped in. If you are looking for more squash recipes, check out my Squash and Black Bean Quesadillas.
Butternut squash and white beans come together to create these tasty no meat meatballs. Vegan, easy, healthy
- 2 lbs of butternut squash cut into large chunks
- 1 red pepper quatered
- 1 15 oz can of white beans- rinsed and drained
- 1 C Panko bread crumbs
- 1-2 Tbl curry powder
- 1 Tbl garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- dash of cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tsp of coriander and cumin
- Suggested topppings: Tzitzaki, hummus, lettuce and tomatoes
- Preheat oven to 400
- Line a baking sheet w foil (for easy clean up)
- coat squash & pepper w olive oil
- Bake for 20 min and remove
- In a food processor pulse squash and pepper
- Add white beans and spices and pulse
- transfer to mixing bowl & add bread crumbs
- mix to combine
- form into 10-12 meatballs
- Add olive oil to skillet and heat to medium high
- Pan fry meatballs for 5 min on each side
- Serve warm with toppings of choice
Tell me which fall veggies are you loving? How do you like to enjoy squash? Are you a fan of curry?