Happy Meatless Monday friends! I don’t know about you but I am loving all of the great summer fruits and veggies right now. The cherries are so juicy and amazing that I thought it was time for me to cook with them. I’ve reworked one of my favorite protein muffin recipes and added fresh cherries to the mix. Hope you enjoy these Chocolate Cherry Protein Muffins as much as I do. Yummy!
Muffins: super hard to photograph, super easy to eat 🙂
Please join Tina and I to check out all of the great Meatless Monday posts today. We love to read all of your link ups too and hope that you check out some of the others while you are here.
Cooking notes: I’ve used whole wheat flour and brown sugar splenda for baking. Feel free to substitute your favorite flours and sweeteners into the mix. I’ve also added unsweetened apple sauce to cut down on the needed sweetener and up the moistness. Using a good quality real dark chocolate makes all the difference. Hope you enjoy!
- 5 egg whites
- 1/2 c vegetable oil
- 1 c whole wheat flour (or substitute)
- 2 scoops of your favorite chocolate protein powder
- 4 oz. unsweetened apple sauce
- 2/3 c unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 c splenda brown sugar for baking
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 C reduced fat buttermilk
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 oz high quality dark chocolate chopped into small pieces
- 1/2 c fresh cherries (cleaned and diced)
- Preheat oven to 375
- line a muffin tin with paper or spray
- In a large bowl combine: flour, cocoa, protein powder, brown sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt and chocolate set aside
- In a small bowl whisk together oil, egg whites, buttermilk & vanilla. Add apple sauce
- Slowly add wet ingredients into dry ingredients
- Stir to combine -do not over mix
- Add cherries
- Equally divide between 12 muffin & bake appox 16-18 m
- Do not overcook
- Cool on wire rack
- Freeze in a ziploc for future use
I find these perfect for a pre or post workout snack with a little yogurt. Sometimes I have one with a cup of coffee as an afternoon snack as well. You can easily freeze them for future us as well. I had one on the dash of my car while running and came back to find a warm, gooey chocolate muffin. So good!!
Have you cooked with cherries? Did you know buttermilk doesn’t have butter in it?