Thanks for joining me and Sarah for Meatless Monday today! I had an epic weekend running the American Odyssey but I will wait until Wednesday to tell you all about it. Today is Meatless Monday-Cinco De Mayo edition! I’ve got a delicious cauliflower rice & black bean tortilla pie dinner to share with you that is perfect for Cinco De Mayo or any day of the week.
I love Mexican inspired dinners however they can be not so healthy when prepared in a traditional way. Not to worry! I’ve got a great Cinco De Mayo meal that is so light and easy you will want to make it all year around. I’ve used cauliflower rice instead of traditional rice and combined it with black beans and salsa to form the filling for this tortilla pie.
First you will saute your cauliflower rice with your black beans, onions, peppers and salsa which will be your filling for your Cauliflower rice and black bean tortilla pie.
Cauliflower Rice and Black Bean Tortilla Pie
- 1 head of cauliflower-shredded or "riced"
- 1/2 onion diced
- 1 15 oz can of black beans-drained & rinsed
- 1 C of chopped red or yellow peppers
- 1 C salsa
- 1 1/2 C of shredded cheddar or Jack cheese
- 4 large corn or whole wheat tortillas of choice
- optional condiments: sour cream, salsa and avocado
- Preheat oven to 375
- Spray a springform pan with cooking spray and set aside
- In a skillet, saute your onion and peppers for 5 min
- Add in cauliflower rice, black beans and salsa and cook additional 5 min
- Place 1 tortilla in springform pan and add 1/3 of filling
- repeat process with another tortilla so you have a 3 layer pie ending with a tortilla
- Top with cheese and bake for 20 min until cheese bubbly
- Let sit 5 min and remove springform sides
- Slice and enjoy!
Rice and black beans are one of my favorite combinations and using cauliflower as your “rice” reduces the calories quite a bit without sacrificing the taste or texture at all. You can use any type of tortilla here for your layers. This really took just minutes to prepare using a small food processor to “rice” the cauliflower. I just got a new food processor that I love. (affilitate link)
Another fun way to prepare this tortilla pie is to use a non stick springform cake pan. That way the pan keeps your tortillas from sliding around and holds the circular shape. You can use any pie dish as well.
Loaded with protein and healthy carbs this Cauliflower rice and black bean tortilla pie is sure to become one of my favorite meals for Cinco De Mayo and for any day of the week. I think next time I will add some corn in there as well.
Head on over to A whisk and 2 wands and check out her Cinco De Mayo ideas!