Thanks for joining Sarah and me for Meatless Monday today. This was one of my favorite soups when I first made it last January for my soup club. This weekend’s chilly temps had me craving this healthy, easy Cajun White Bean, Vegan Sausage and Kale Soup and I hope you all will try it for yourselves.
Cajun White Bean, Vegan Sausage and Kale Soup
Like many of you, I have been eager to try to maintain my to healthy eating as much as possible during the holiday season. I was looking to create a high protein and lower carb soup that would be hearty enough to fill me up. Bingo! This Cajun White Bean, Vegan Sausage and Kale Soup is filled with goodness.
White beans provide a fabulous source of plant based protein, tons of fill you up fiber and heart healthy folate. Vegan Sausages (I used Lightlife) are low in fat and carbs but high in protein giving you a great bang for your buck. For the greens you can use kale, collard greens or chard all of which have high levels of Vitamin K and iron. Two nutrients that are harder to find in vegetarian and vegan diets. I personally like Swiss Chard in soups.
I originally had planned to make this Cajun White Bean, Vegan Sausage and Kale Soup in my crockpot but ran out time so instead, I just threw them all into the stock pot. It simmered for just about an hour and was ready to enjoy. Wait until about 10 minutes before serving to add in the greens so they do not become too soggy. If you do make it in a crockpot, follow the same note on the greens.
I’ve been slurping this soup up the last few days and it’s quickly become one of my favorites. I plan to recreate it again for my Soup Club in January. I know my friends are going to love it too.
- 8 cups lower sodium Vegetable Broth
- 2 15 oz White Beans -drained and rinsed
- 4 large vegan sausages ( I used Liteline)
- 1 Cup of carrots-chopped
- 2 Cups chopped celery
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 1 can (15 oz) fire roasted tomatoes
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 1/2 coriander
- 1 tsp pepper
- salt as needed
- 3 Cups chopped collard greens, kale, or chard
- Prepare and chop all veggies and choice of sausage
- In a large stock pot add a little olive oil
- heat to medium high
- saute sausages for 5 min
- Add in all veggies except for kale/greens
- continue to cook for 5 min
- Add in broth and canned tomatoes
- Add in seasonings
- bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer
- allow to simmer for at least 45 min
- Add in greens and cook an additional 10 min
- Can be frozen as well