Thanks for joining Sarah and me for Meatless Monday today. Hope everyone had a happy and delicious Thanksgiving. Back to regularly scheduled eating and meals this week. Speaking of which, this whole Romaine lettuce recall has really thrown me for a loop. Our store is literally out of every lettuce! My plans to bring you a light and healthy post Thanksgiving salad were derailed. So instead, I bring you this cozy and comforting Creamy Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato Soup. Is there really anything better than a bowl of tomato soup and a grilled cheese?
Creamy Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato Soup
This Creamy Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato Soup can be made the easy way by using canned tomatoes and jarred roasted red peppers. Otherwise, you can roast fresh red peppers and tomatoes I personally find the tomatoes this time of year leave something to be desired so I opt for canned myself. Makes this soup “souper” easy!
My favorite pairing on a cold winter day is yummy grilled cheese sandwich with a bowl of this Creamy Roasted Red Pepper Soup. A match made in heaven if you ask me. Just dip your sandwich right in and enjoy. Side note, we had some extra Gruyere cheese and I used that for my grilled cheese today. Oh my deliciousness!
Anyone else remember growing up eating canned tomato soup and grilled cheese? Funny how things change as I don’t think I have bought a can of soup in over 10 years! It’s so easy and so much healthier to make your own Creamy Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato Soup. I love to freeze some in cup sized portions to defrost on chilly days.
I did add some light cream into my soup at the end to make it a little more hearty and well creamy. You can easily omit it to make this vegan friendly. However, if you are not vegan, it adds quite a bit to the texture and heartiness. A little light cream never hurt anyone! Find more soup ideas here.
- 32 oz low sodium vegetable broth
- 2 28 oz cans of whole or diced roasted tomatoes
- 14 oz jar of roasted red peppers (or 2 large red peppers roasted)
- handful of fresh basil and thyme
- 2 garlic cloves diced
- 1/2 C light cream (optional)
- salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste
- suggested toppings: shredded Parm cheese, grilled cheese, swirl of pesto
- Add canned tomatoes and red peppers to blender and puree until smooth
- Transfer to large stock pot add:
- vegetable broth, fresh herbs and spices
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer
- Simmer at least 45 min
- Swirl in light cream right before serving if desired