Thanks for joining Sarah and me for Meatless Monday today. I had every intention of bringing you a patriotic red, white and blue recipe today but that just did not happen. What did happen were these amazingly delicious Vegan Eggplant and Portobello Mushroom Meatballs. I promise even your meat loving family members will eat these up!
Vegan Eggplant and Portobello Mushroom Meatballs
I made a huge batch of these Vegan Eggplant and Portobello Mushroom Meatballs for a dinner party and found all kinds of ways to use up the leftovers. They are super versatile! Of course, my favorite way to enjoy them is on top of a heap of spaghetti. Later in the week, I enjoyed them with spaghetti squash and in a “meatball sub” with melted mozzarella.
The combination of roasted eggplant and Portobello mushrooms mixed with white beans gives these Vegan meatballs a fantastic hearty texture. Roasted garlic, oregano, basil and sage bring out the flavors of the eggplant and mushrooms and the most yummy aromas will waft through your home as you cook them.
You can whip up these Vegan Eggplant and Portobello Mushroom meatballs in about 45 minutes from start to finish. They are also great made in advance and warmed up a la minute. Why not cook up a big batch and freeze them for those nights where you need a quick meal?
Filled with plant based protein and layers of flavor, these Vegan Eggplant and Portobello Mushroom Meatballs will satisfy your cravings and fill up your belly with healthy eats.
- 1 1/2 - 2 lbs of baby eggplant-skin on and cut into slices
- 3 large portobello mushrooms-halved
- 15 oz can of white beans-drained
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 C of Panko bread crumbs (can use GF)
- olive oil for cooking
- 1-2 tsp of sage, oregano, basil
- dash of red pepper, salt and pepper
- parsley for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375
- on a baking sheet place eggplant, mushrooms and garlic cloves
- Drizzle on olive oil, salt and pepper
- bake for 20 min
- In a food processor add:
- cooked eggplant, mushrooms and garlic
- white beans
- all spices
- pulse until large pieces of eggplant are chopped
- Transfer to a mixing bowl and stir in bread crumbs
- chill in fridge for 10 min
- form meatballs with mixture
- Heat a large skillet with olive oil
- cook meatballs for 3 -5 min on each side
- Serve with your favorite tomato sauce and enjoy
How would you like to eat these Vegan Eggplant and Portobello Mushroom Meatballs? On top of pasta? Spaghetti Squash? Meatball sub? Right out of the pan?