Thanks for joining Sarah and me for Meatless Monday today. I love waking up to see all of the fantastic recipes people are cooking up each week. Now that spring has finally sprung, I am outside and on the go more. I am also looking for more healthy snack options to take along with me to fuel my workouts. While there are some bars out there I enjoy, I much prefer to make my own. These Chocolate Cherry Espresso Oatmeal Bars are by far the best bars I’ve ever made. Hope you think so too!
Chocolate Cherry Espresso Oatmeal Bars
Don’t be deterred by the long ingredient list! I had almost all of the ingredients right in my pantry which is how these really came about. I knew I wanted to use a healthy and hearty base of oatmeal so I started there. I literally stood in my pantry and pulled out my favorite ingredients. Almonds, hemp seeds, peanut butter and protein powder came out. Of course all great bars need chocolate chips right? Found some frozen cherries in my freezer and thought, “what else goes well with chocolate and cherries”? Yup, instant espresso!
You will notice, there is no added refined sugar. The sweetness in these Chocolate Cherry Espresso Oatmeal Bars comes from the applesauce and peanut butter. I was looking to build a bar that would keep me fueled before or after a workout without giving me a sugar crash. I love the balance of protein and good for you carbs.
These delicious Chocolate Cherry Espresso Oatmeal bars can be stored up to a week in the fridge or frozen. I cut them and wrap them individually to enjoy or share.
- 1 C almonds
- 1 C oatmeal of your choice
- 1/2 C hemp seeds
- 1 C vanilla protein powder of choice
- 3 Tbl coconut oil
- 3 Tb instant espresso powder
- 2 extra large eggs
- 1/2 C peanut butter
- 1 Tbl vanilla
- 1/2 C dark chocolate chips
- 1 C unsweetened apple sauce
- 1 C frozen pitted cherries (quartered)
- 3 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees
- In a food processor add the following and pulse:
- almonds, oatmeal, hemp seeds, protein powder, coconut oil, espresso powder
- Transfer to large mixing bowl
- Add remaining ingredients:
- eggs, peanut butter, vanilla, peanut butter, apple sauce, cinnamon, salt, cherries and choc chip
- mix to combine
- Line a baking dish with parchment paper
- pour mixture into pan and spread evenly
- Bake for 25 -30 min
- Allow to cool and then refrigerate 30m before slicing
- Store in fridge or freeze for further use
What do you like to put into your homemade bars? Chocolate, cherry & espresso fan?