Thanks for joining Sarah and me for Meatless Monday today. As I have mentioned a few times lately, I am really working hard to up my protein intake. As a vegetarian, that can certainly take some creative cooking. Otherwise, I can end up eating the same meals over and over again. I created this Hummus and Pistachio Crusted Tofu with free samples I received of Wonderful Pistachios. By posting this recipe I am entering a recipe contest sponsored by Wonderful Pistachios and am eligible to win prizes associated with the contest. I was not compensated for my time.
Hummus and Pistachio Crusted Tofu
So why Wonderful Pistachios?
Pistachios are known as “the fitnut™” due to their high protein and fiber content. They have zero cholesterol and very low saturated fat. I did not even realize that they were naturally loaded with potassium too. Fabulous recovery food! Since February is heart healthy month, it seems like the perfect time to get more nuts into my diet.
While it is fun to #getcrackin on the shells, I chose to use the already shelled pistachios for my Hummus and Pistachio crusted Tofu. Hummus is the other hidden star of this tofu recipe. I coated my tofu cubes with some diluted hummus and then rolled them in crushed pistachios. Then these high protein cubes are pan fried to create a crispy outside. Toasted pistachios are so yummy and smell amazing!
What I love about meal prepping this type of protein is that I can eat it with so many different meals all week. Today I served them with some simple stir fried veggies. Later in the week, I will throw them on top of a big salad or mix into some noodles.
While tofu is often a protein of choice for me, I understand that it’s not for everyone. Some of you prefer more of a traditional protein. I get that! I do think this Hummus and Pistachio Crusted Tofu would work really well with chicken as well. Just don’t tell anyone that I said that!
- 1 15 oz package of extra firm tofu
- 1 Cup your favorite Hummus
- warm water to dilute
- 1 Cup of Wonderful Pistachios (crushed)
- Drain tofu and place between paper towels to absorb water
- In a food processor, pulse Pistachios into crumbs
- pour onto a large plate
- Cut tofu into cubes
- In a small bowl, add hummus with a little bit of warm water to dilute slightly
- Coat tofu cubes with hummus
- Next roll tofu cubes to coat with pistachios
- Heat a large skilled with olive oil to med high
- Carefully sear tofu turning to get a crunchy texture on each side
- Serve atop your favorite meal or alone
Pistachio fan? How do you like to enjoy them-straight out of the bag or in a recipe?