Thanks for joining Sarah and me for Meatless Monday today. I don’t know if it’s the colder temps or what but I’ve been craving heartier more seasoned foods lately. Mexican foods have such yummy spices to them like cumin, coriander and chili pepper that make the whole house smell delicious when you cook with them. Today, I’ve taken 2 favorite dishes and combined them into one spectacular Vegetable Enchilada Lasagna.
Vegetable Enchilada Lasagna
Although I am a pasta lover at heart, I’ve been looking to replace some of those white carbs with more nutrient loaded ones. Corn tortillas make up the “pasta” layer in this Vegetable Enchilada Lasagna which make it naturally gluten free. I’ve loaded up each serving with freshly sauteed zucchini, squash, onion and peppers. Black Beans make the perfect protein accompaniment. For you non vegetarians out there, of course you can also add in another protein but I don’t think your family will miss it.
This Vegetable Enchilada Lasagna could not be easier to prep and get into the oven. I had all the veggies chopped and in the fry pan in a matter of minutes. A quick saute and you are ready to layer your lasagna for baking. The corn tortillas are the layered in between your veggies and held together with melted cheddar cheese. In 30 minutes your house smells amazing and you are ready to enjoy your Meatless Monday or Taco Tuesday creation.
You control the level of spice by using more or less Jalapeno and choosing a mild or spicy enchilada sauce. No need to chose between Enchiladas or Lasagna anymore! Everyone is going to love this delicious, healthy combination. So who’s up for Vegetable Enchilada Lasagna this week?
- 8 yellow corn tortillas
- 1 zucchini-diced
- 1 yellow squash diced
- 1/1 C red onion-diced
- 1-2 fresh Jalapeno peppers
- 1 red or yellow pepper
- 1 C frozen corn
- 1 15 oz can black beans-drained & rinsed
- 1 15 oz can diced tomatoes
- 2 C shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 1/2 C Enchilada sauce
- 1-2 tsp coriander, cumin and chili powder
- dash of salt & pepper
- Preheat oven to 375
- Spray a casserole dish w cooking spray
- In a large skillet Saute zucchini, onion, jalapeno, pepper and squash for 5 min
- Add spices, canned tomatoes and beans and combine
- Remove from heat
- Place 3 tortillas on bottom of casserole dish
- Add on 1/3 of veggie mixture
- 1/3 of cheese
- Repeat layering 2 more times
- Bake for 20 min until cheese is bubbly