Thanks for joining Sarah and me for Meatless Monday too. I’ve really been inspired to create seasonal dishes each week based on what I receive in my Hungry Harvest box. Last week I opened my box to find mini butternut squash and some jalapeno peppers. You don’t have to say Taco Tuesday to me twice! Any excuse I can find to eat more avocado is a good one. I roasted up the squash and the peppers to come up with this delicious and healthy Squash & Black Bean Spicy Quesadillas dinner. I know you are going to love it!
Fall Squash & Black Bean Spicy Quesadillas
First lets start with how delicious roasted squash is! I find if I roast the veggies I receive in my box each week, I have a head start on adding them into many different weeknight meals. This week, I also roasted some jalapeno peppers. If you have not tried roasting spicy peppers yet, you do not know what you are missing. It really brings out the flavor.
If you prepare your veggies in advance, this is a ridiculously easy weeknight meal that can be customized to the likes of everyone dining at your table. Each squash & spicy black bean spicy quesadilla can be made to order. It’s easy to leave out the cheese for your vegan guests or add in some extra proteins for others. Using a gluten free tortilla is also an option.
Flour tortillas do work best for these Squash & Spicy Black Bean quesadillas. I find if I spray them with a little cooking spray and then heat them in a hot skillet for just a minute or two they will crisp up nicely. I then load in my squash, black beans, peppers and cheese and pop them back in the skillet to warm and melt the cheese. Hello your new favorite easy dinner!
Of course these quesadillas are the best excuse to load on all of your favorite Mexican inspired toppings. I suggest: guacamole (or avocado slices), sour cream, salsa, cilantro, shredded lettuce and tomato. Live dangerously and sprinkle on some more shredded cheese. I like to use a spicy Monterey jack.
- 2 Cups of Butternut or acorn squash-diced
- 2-3 jalapeno or shishito peppers
- 1 15 oz can of black beans (rinsed & drained)
- 1/2 yellow onion-diced
- black pepper, garlic powder to taste
- 1-2 tsp of chili powder
- 4 flour tortillas
- 3/4 C shredded pepper jack or Monterey jack cheese (optional)
- salsa, avocado, sour cream, cilantro, shredded lettuce, diced tomato
- preheat oven to 400
- coat baking sheet w olive oil
- roast squash and peppers until softened (about 20 m)
- meanwhile, Heat a large skillet to med high with olive oil to coat
- saute onion for 5 min
- add in black beans, cilantro, chili pepper, black pepper, garlic powder
- Fold in squash and peppers (diced)
- Remove mixture from heat and transfer to large bowl
- Wipe skillet clean and reheat
- Spray tortillas with cooking spray and place back in skillet for 2-3 minutes to crisp up
- Fill tortilla with about 1/3 of mixture and cheese if desired, top with another tortilla
- Return to hot pan to melt cheese
- Cut with a pizza cutter and serve with desired toppings4
Tell me-What’s going in and on your Squash & Spicy Black Bean Quesadillas?