Thanks for joining Sarah and me for Meatless Monday today. Don’t get me wrong, I love all things pumpkin but I have a philosophical ban on pumpkin recipes until October. There is too much veggie goodness for September so why overlook the apples, squash and other fall deliciousness just yet? In the past, I’ve been all over zucchini bread and apple zucchini muffins but when I got some gigantic yellow squash in my Hungry Harvest rescued produce box last week, I knew I wanted to create something yummy with it. That’s how this delicious Savory Sun Dried Tomato Squash Bread was born.
Savory Sun Dried Tomato Yellow Squash Bread
I am enjoying cooking seasonally and trying to use the freshest, local ingredients I can find. While I do love zucchini bread, I find most of those recipes to be sweet. I am trying to cut out added sugars right now and wanted to make something a little more savory. Yellow squash really works just the same way in recipes that zucchini does and it’s easy to interchange the two.
I took all of the savory spices I enjoy like oregano, basil, pepper, and rosemary and sprinkled them into this Savory Sun Dried tomato Yellow Squash Bread. I was pleasantly surprised by how delicious it was. The mild taste allows you to pair it with just about anything. I’ve smeared on a little butter and enjoyed it with my eggs for breakfast and also with an afternoon cup of coffee. I also think this recipe would work really well with muffins.
This Savory Sun Dried Tomato Yellow Squash Bread is full of good for you ingredients and no added sugar. I’ve used unsweetened almond milk, eggs and almond flour with a little sharp cheddar cheese. You can find Sun Dried Tomatoes in a bag at your regular grocery store. No need to use the oil packed version. Nothing artificial just real foods. Hope you enjoy it!
Fall is in the air and it feels like the perfect time to start creating some more savory, comfort flavors like this one. Don’t worry pumpkin, there is plenty of time for you next month.
- 2 cups of shredded yellow squash (squeeze out extra moisture)
- 3/4 C shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp oregano, basil, rosemary
- 1/4 C chopped dried sun dried tomatoes
- 2 Cups of almond flour or flour of choice
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp of baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 C olive oil
- 1/2 C unsweetened almond milk
- Preheat oven to 350
- spray a loaf pan with cooking spray
- Combine dry ingredients in a med bowl and set aside
- In a larger bowl, add eggs and whisk
- Add oil and milk and cheese and squash and tomatoes
- Fold in dry ingredients and combine
- Pour into loaf pan
- Bake for about 45 min until center is done
- Can be cut into slices and frozen