Thanks for joining Sarah and me for Meatless Monday on this fabulous Memorial Day weekend. Since you all seemed to love my healthier version of Sweet and Sour Tofu takeout last week, I am back today with another tasty restaurant style offering. These Veggie Lettuce Wraps are the perfect light and healthy meal for a warm summer night and better than any similar dish you will find in a restaurant.
Just like in the big restaurant chains, you can customize your Veggie Lettuce Wraps to add in your favorite veggies or proteins. They are a super easy weeknight meal for the whole family to love. We like to make a couple of different sauces with varying spice levels so everyone is happy. My son said these are one of his new favorite family meals-I call that a win!
I had my veggies prepped and ready to stir fry in under 10 minutes. Because you want to keep the veggies crisp, it takes just minutes to cook them and they are ready to pile into your waiting lettuce leaves. We topped ours with some crushed peanuts for some extra texture and taste. You could also use cashews or almonds or leave the nuts off completely.
These Veggie Lettuce Wraps are vegan, gluten free and dairy free but full of flavor. Most of the sauces you find in restaurants and the bottled Asian sauces are filled with sugar and sodium. Take a look! It’s so easy to create your own healthier version and you won’t miss the sugar or salt at all.
Got leftovers? I ate the leftovers the next day in a bowl form on top of some brown rice. Perfect lunch to take along to school or work. Trust me your family is going to love making their own Veggie Lettuce Wraps.
A restaurant classic, these Veggie Lettuce Wraps will soon become one of your favorite easy weeknight meals. Hope you enjoy them!
Have you ever made your own Veggie Lettuce Wraps?
- 1 5 oz can water chestnuts-drained & diced
- 1 Cup carrots diced
- 1 Cup frozen peas-defrosted
- 1 yellow pepper-cleaned & diced
- 6-8 mushrooms of choice diced
- 1 Cup Bean Sprouts
- 4 oz. of Peas Shoots-topping
- 1/2 Cup chopped peanuts
- Romaine Lettuce leaves-washed & dried
- 2 Tbl chopped garlic
- 1 Tbl ginger paste
- 1-2 Tbl of chili paste
- 5 Tbl Soy Sauce-reduced sodium or gf
- 1/3 Cup Rice Vinegar
- 3/4 tsp. Chinese 5 spice powder
- Splash of chili garlic sauce to taste
- Whisk together sauce ingredients and set aside
- In a large skillet heat olive oil or sesame oil to med high
- Saute all veggies for 5-10 min saving bean sprouts until last minute
- Stir in sauce
- Serve immediately with cold Romaine lettuce leaves
- Top with chopped peanuts & pea shoots if desired