Thanks for joining me and Sarah for Meatless Monday today. This time of year seems to be so busy doesn’t it? With all the end of the year sports and school activities, it’s harder to find time to meal plan and cook during the week. Today I’m sharing a great weeknight meal that’s easy to whip up and hopefully the whole family will enjoy. This Sweet And Sour Tofu Over Soba Noodles is packed with flavor, veggies and plant based protein. You can easily get this on the table in under 30 minutes.
Sweet And Sour Tofu Over Soba Noodles
Why get takeout when you can create your own healthier versions of Asian inspired meals? The flavors of the pineapple, garlic, ginger and honey blend perfectly with the tofu and red peppers. I promise you wont’ be disappointed. I like to use soba noodles which are made out of buckwheat but of course, you could sub any other noodle into this dish to make it gluten free. It’s naturally vegan and dairy free so everyone is happy. I ate this on day two cold as a salad and it was just as good.
There are a few keys to cooking tofu that I am going to share with you. First, it’s vital to drain the tofu. It’s easy to do this by wrapping it in paper towels and putting something heavy on top of it (like a skillet) to help squeeze out the water. That way, the tofu can absorb the seasoning that you add to it. Secondly, you want to make sure you get a good sear on the tofu. This is easily done by stir frying it in a hot pan with olive oil and turning the pieces so that they all brown evenly.
I know it’s meatless Monday, but if your family needs a little extra “meat” it’s easy to add in another protein in addition to the tofu. I made this same dish for my hubs with some shrimp but that’s our little secret right?
- 14 0z of extra firm tofu-cubed
- 1 broccoli crown-cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 large red pepper -cut into chunks
- 1-2 C of fresh pineapple-cut into chunks
- 6 oz. buckwheat soba noodles-cook according to package
- 2 tbl sesame seeds
- Sweet & Sour Sauce
- 1 Tbl ginger paste
- 1-2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/3 C rice vinegar
- 1/4 Cup soy sauce
- 1/3 C honey
- Cook soba noodles according to package directions and set aside
- Drain tofu and press out as much moisture as possible then cube
- Meanwhile whisk together sauce ingredients (except sesame seeds)
- Sear tofu in a skillet w olive oil until browned on all sides-transfer to bowl
- In same pan sear pineapple until browned set aside
- Saute broccoli and red pepper until cooked but crunchy
- Add back in tofu and pineapple
- Add in soba noodles
- Mix in Sweet and Sour sauce to combine
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve