Thanks for joining Sarah and me for Meatless Monday today! I am getting into the Valentine’s Day spirit today with my Hot Date Chocolate Valentine Brownies. These are not just any brownies, oh no, they are filled with all kinds of healthy goodness but decadent enough to let you feel like you are treating yourself.
Did you know that dates have 50% more potassium than bananas? I didn’t either! Two Bard Valley Natural Delights dates have 281 grams of potassium. Great runner fuel indeed! They taste and look to me like big raisins and you can use them as such in recipes and trail mixes etc. Since they have natural sugar to them, there is really no need to add any more sugar to your recipe.
Hot Date Chocolate Valentine Brownies
I used unsweetened apple sauce as a moistening ingredient and natural sweetener as well but you won’t find any added sugar in these brownies. I did not miss the sugar at all. Win Win! So what else is in my Hot Date Chocolate Valentine Brownie?
Using almond flour makes these brownies naturally gluten free. I’ve added some high quality dark chocolate because chocolate. To make these brownies even better I’ve added a few scoops of chocolate protein powder and slivered almonds. Fabulous combination trust me!
This post was sponsored by Bard Valley Natural Delights however the love of dates is my own.
- 1 C almond flour
- 2/3 C unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 scoops chocolate protein powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 oz high quality dark chocolate-chopped
- 1/2 C slivered almonds
- 4 oz unsweetened apple sauce
- 5 egg whites
- 1/2 C vegetable oil
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 C reduced fat buttermilk
- 1/2 C chopped pitted dates
- Preheat oven to 375
- In a large mixing bowl combine all dry ingredients and set aside
- In a medium bowl whisk together egg whites, oil, vanilla, buttermilk until frothy
- add in applesauce
- slowly combine wet and dry ingredients
- Spray a muffin tin with cooking spray
- Pour batter into tins to make 12 brownies
- bake 15-18 minutes until middle is cooked
- Allow to cool and enjoy
Tell me-Have a hot date this Valentine’s Day? Do you cook with dates?