Thanks for joining Sarah and me for Meatless Monday today. We have had a few dreary, rainy days the past few weeks and I find myself craving warm bowls of goodness. This Smokey Tomato Orzo soup with chick pea croutons kind of came together one day from what I had in my pantry. I’ve always found something so comforting about tomato soup but I couldn’t give you all just any old tomato soup could I?
I love spicy foods and wanted to bring some more complex flavors into my tomato soup this week. I’ve added in some Chipotle peppers in Adobo sauce and mmmm I know you all are going to love it. You can easily tone the spice up or down by playing with the amount of peppers. Another one of my soup secrets is that I use V-8 juice as the broth instead of vegetable broth. I find it brings much more flavor and also adds some more vitamins and fiber from the vegetables.
This Smokey Tomato Orzo Soup is easy to throw together and does not require a lot of simmering time. I’ve prepared the orzo in a separate pot and prefer to keep it separate so it does not soak up all of the liquid and get soggy. When you are ready to enjoy some, simply add it to the bottom of the bowl and then spoon in the soup. Rice can easily be substituted for the orzo if looking for a gluten free option. It’s vegan as well so everyone’s happy!
I was roasting up some chick peas for snacking and then had the brilliant idea to use them as croutons for the soup. It’s easy to make a big batch and have them for snacking for the week. I also like to throw them onto salads.They are so versatile and it’s easy to switch up the seasonings on them. Today I used garlic powder, kosher salt and smoked paprika. They are also great with a little basil and oregano.
This smokey tomato orzo soup with chick pea croutons is an easy weekday meal to whip up and have left overs for lunches all week long.
- For the soup:
- 1 48 oz bottle of V-8 juice of choice
- 2 15 oz cans of fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 2-4 Chipotle peppers in adobe (minced)
- salt, pepper to taste
- 1 Tbl garlic powder
- 1 tsp chopped fennel
- 1 C of orzo -cooked according to package and set aside
- Optional topping: Parm cheese
- Chick pea croutons:
- 1 can of chick peas rinsed, drained
- garlic powder, kosher salt, smoked paprika
- Cooking spray
- Cook orzo and set aside
- In a large stock pot add all soup ingredients
- bring to a boil and then simmer for at least 30 min
- Note: adjust level of spiciness by using less or more of the adobe peppers and sauce
- Spoon soup into bowls and add orzo to serve.
- For chick pea croutons:
- preheat oven to 400
- Arrange chick peas on baking sheet
- spray with cooking spray
- add spices
- bake for 20-30 min until crunchy turning a few times
- Sprinkle on top of soup or snack on
- store in closed container for a week