Thanks for joining me and Sarah for Meatless Monday today. I am not sure how it is where you live, but it’s ridiculous freezing here in Northern Virginia. Winter weather like this calls for chili! I wanted to do something different than my usual tomato based veggie chili this time. I do love white beans so I came up with this very filling Vegan White Bean Quinoa Chili to share with you today.
Yesterday was also my Soup Club swap day and this month I mixed it up by making this White Bean Quinoa Chili for my friends as well. Hoping they enjoy it as much as I did. I only wish I had more for myself! This is also a super easy recipe that can be made ahead in the crock pot. Whoever invented those things is a genius!
Filled with white beans and quinoa this meatless meal is packed with plant based protein and sure to keep to warm and full for hours. Top with your favorite yums like cheese, avocado or chips and you are good to go. I like my chili spicy but you can control the heat by reducing the jalapeno peppers or chili powder.
Vegan White Bean Quinoa Chili
- 1 yellow onion
- 1-2 jalapeno peppers
- 1 bunch of fresh cilantro
- 32 oz of vegetable broth
- 3 cans (28 oz each) of Cannelli beans (drained & rinsed)
- 2 yellow peppers (diced)
- 3 large carrots (peeled & diced)
- 1 15 oz can of roasted tomatoes
- juice of one lime
- 2 garlic cloves
- salt & pepper to taste
- 3 TBl chili powder
- 2-3 Tbl cumin
- 2 Tbl coriander
- 2 Tbl garlic powder
- 1 C uncooked quinoa
- Optional toppings: cheese, avocado, tortilla chips
- In a food processor:
- pulse onion, jalapeno and fresh garlic and handful of cilantro
- add in 32 oz of white beans and pulse again
- Transfer to crock pot
- Add in:
- remaining beans
- vegetable broth
- canned tomatoes
- peppers and carrots
- cumin, chili pepper, salt, pepper, garlic powder and lime juice
- Cook for 4 hours on high
- Stir in quinoa (uncooked) and cook another 30 minutes
- sprinkle with cilantro and other optional toppings
- Serves 6-8
Not only is this Vegan White Bean Quinoa chili super easy to make, it makes the house smell amazing! Make it tonight and eat it for lunch all week long.
Tell me, what’s your favorite meal to eat when it’s crazy cold outside? Do you like spicy chili?