Thanks for joining Sarah and me for Meatless Monday today! As the weather is finally starting to feel like fall around here, I am now craving some heartier, warmer dishes. You may have seen me mention that I subscribed to a CSA box this fall. I’ve been getting loads of veggie goodness each week and looking for new ways to cook them up. Thus, this Hearty Fall Lentil Stew was created.
I’ve enjoyed eating turnips and rutabaga for years but I will admit, I had not ever cooked them myself before this week. When I got this great big basket of root vegetables I was a little nervous about what to do with them. Roasting them and mixing them up with lentils seemed like the perfect way to showcase them. This Hearty Fall Lentil Stew is the perfect vegetarian dinner or side. It’s full of healthy carbs, plant based protein and tons of vitamins.
Hearty Fall Lentil Stew
This is another recipe that looks a lot harder than it really is! Once I got over my fear of working with some newer (to me) fall root veggies, whipping this up was a piece of cake.
I started by roasting the veggies with a little olive oil and spices and combined them with the black lentils. I allowed them to simmer together and absorb all the goodness and flavors of each other. Simple and oh so filling! A dinner you can feel good about fueling your body with.
- 3 cups of vegetable broth
- 1 C dried black lentils
- 2 C of turnips (about 2 medium) cut into bite size pieces
- 2 C of rutabega cut into bite sized pieces
- 4 large carrots
- 1/2 C diced onions
- 1 Tbl diced garlic cloves
- 4-5 leaves of Swiss Chard torn into bite sized pieces
- kosher salt & pepper to taste
- 2 Tbl good quality balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbl thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- Preheat oven to 375
- Line a baking pan with foil and add carrots, turnips & rutabega
- coat with olive oil, salt & pepper
- bake for approx 20 m until softened
- meanwhile, add broth to saucepan with lentils
- Add thyme and bay leaves
- bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until lentils soften (about 20 m)
- Do not drain the lentils
- Remove veggies from oven and add to saucepan
- Stir in balsamic
- Add Swiss Chard and simmer 10 m
This Hearty fall Lentil stew is sure to please the vegan and gluten free eaters at your table. I am loving exploring cooking with and eating new veggies and I can’t wait to see what comes in next week’s box.
Tell me: Do you eat seasonally? What do you do with root vegetables?