This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #PickedAtPeak #CollectiveBias
Thanks for joining Sarah and me for Meatless Monday today! I am continuing my effort to cook with seasonal foods. I’ve taken one of my favorite Italian comfort foods and added a little fall goodness to bring you a hearty and delicious Butternut Squash Stuffed Shells dinner.
I was given the opportunity to try out the new Prego Farmers’ Market® sauces and knew these Butternut Squash Stuffed Shells were the perfect vehicle. They are made with vine ripened tomatoes, garlic, basil and other simple ingredients you would find at your local Farmers’ Market. You can find Prego Farmers’ Market ® right at your local Walmart where the pasta sauces are located.
Butternut Squash Stuffed Shells
For this recipe, I switched out the usual Italian spices (oregano, basil) and instead added in some nutmeg and cinnamon to really bring out the flavor of the butternut squash. I then combined the butternut squash with Ricotta cheese and stuffed into the jumbo shells. The shells kind of remind me of little boats in a sea of tomato sauce. Yum! That’s the kind of cruise I am on board with.
When the temperature starts to drop, I am craving more comfort foods like pasta and tomato sauce. This Butternut Squash stuffed shells recipe is easy to make and will fill the bellies of your families with happiness. It is also very easy to make in advance and reheat during the week when you need a quick family meal. You can find a coupon here to check out the new Prego Farmers’ Market® sauces.
This recipe is super easy but I have a few short cuts that make it even easier to get onto your table even faster:
-Buy pre-cut butternut squash so you don’t have to peel & slice it
-If you don’t have time to roast the squash it’s fine to steam it on the stove top or even in the microwave
-Stock up on some Prego Farmers’ Market® sauce for quick prep
-Make a double batch and freeze some for those hectic nights
- 2 lbs Butternut squash (peeled & chopped)
- 16 oz. Ricotta cheese
- 12 oz package of jumbo pasta shells
- 1 jar of Prego Farmers' Market® classic Marinara sauce
- 3/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Prepare pasta shells according to package directions
- either roast or steam butternut squash until soft to the touch
- Add to food processor and pulse until smooth slowly adding in the Ricotta cheese
- Add nutmeg, cinnamon, allspice & salt
- Preheat over to 350
- Generously coat the bottom of a 9 x 13 dish with tomato sauce
- Stuff about 2 Tbl of the squash/cheese mixture into each shell and place in dish
- Repeat until all shells are stuffed
- Drizzle more marinara sauce over top of the shells
- Bake for 20-25 minutes
- Can be made in advance or frozen for later use