Thanks for joining Sarah and me for Meatless Monday today. I am continuing to crave and cook with seasonal foods and this week that is Spaghetti Squash. Now that the weather is finally turning cooler, I am craving some heartier dishes. Today I’ve taken one of my favorite comfort foods, Mac n Cheese, and made it a little healthier by subbing pasta for spaghetti squash. This Spaghetti Squash Mac N Cheese is creamy and cheesy and everything you love about mac n cheese.
Spaghetti Squash Mac N Cheese
Spaghetti Squash is one of my favorite veggies all year around but it’s especially good this time of year. I love my carbs as much as the next girl, but probably wouldn’t be a great idea for me to eat pasta everyday. Spaghetti squash is the perfect substitute as it’s so versatile and easy to make.
I like to microwave my spaghetti squash to save time. It’s really simple:
-Cut spaghetti squash in half lengthwise and remove seeds
-Place flesh side down in a casserole dish, add 1 inch of water and cover with plastic wrap
-Microwave until “spaghetti” easily comes out with a fork
I’ve used this basic cheese sauce recipe for years for my kids and now I’ve adapted it to become a healthier option. A sprinkle of nutmeg and cinnamon gives a great pop of flavor and contrast to the sharp cheddar cheese. I used good old skim milk but you could sub with soy or almond milk as well.
Hope you enjoy my healthier spin on a classic family meal!
- For the cheese sauce:
- 2 1/4 C skim milk (or milk of choice) warmed for 30 sec in microwave
- 2 Tbl flour
- 1 Tbl butter
- salt, pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- squirt of siracha
- 2 C shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- other ingredients:
- 1 large spaghetti squash-halved, seeded and cooked
- 1 C chopped broccoli
- 2 Tbl panko breadcrumbs
- Cook spaghetti squash and remove "spaghetti" to a large bowl
- set aside
- In a medium skillet, make a roux:
- Melt butter on medium heat, add in flour and whisk for 1 min
- It will be lumpy
- Slowly add in milk while continuing to whisk
- Add cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, pepper, siracha
- reduce heat to low and whisk until thick about 5 min
- Add in cheddar cheese and stir to combine
- Transfer cheese sauce into bowl with squash and combine
- Add in broccoli
- Evenly distribute spaghetti back to the squash rinds
- sprinkle bread crumbs on top
- Bake at 375 degrees for 20 min, broil for 2 min until browned on top
Does your family love mac n cheese? Have any fun spaghetti squash twists?
Also linking up with Autumn Produce Challenge