Thanks for joining me and Sarah for Meatless Monday today! Hope all of you mothers had a fabulous day yesterday. So Cinco De Mayo might have been last week but I can never get enough avocado can you? I whipped this 3 bean Southwestern Quinoa skillet dinner up last week and just loved it. You all know I am all about easy dinners and this one is made all in one skillet. Bonus it was great cold the next day for a salad and the next day in an omelet. Multipurpose meals are the best aren’t they?
First off-I am obsessed with this vegetable chopper. It makes it so easy to chop things like onions and jalapenos that you might not want on your hands. I love it for lettuce and all kinds of veggies too.
3 Bean Southwestern Quinoa Skillet
- 1 jalapeno-chopped
- yellow pepper-chopped
- 2 Tbl minced garlic
- 1 C of diced zucchini
- 1 C quinoa
- 1 1/2 C of vegetable broth
- 3/4 C of black beans, kidney and chick peas
- 1 C frozen corn
- 1 15 oz can diced roasted tomatoes
- 1 tsp cumin, coriander,
- 1 tbl chili powder
- salt & pepper to taste
- Coat a large skillet with olive oil and bring to medium high heat
- Saute jalapeno, peppers, garlic & zucchini for 5 min
- Mix in 3 types of beans, frozen corn, canned tomatoes and combine
- Add in uncooked quinoa and vegetable broth
- Mix to combine
- Add spices
- Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat to simmer
- Allow to simmer for 20-25 min until broth is absorbed
- Serve warm as a main dish, with tortillas or cold as a salad
My favorite way to enjoy this 3 bean Southwestern skillet was inside of some corn tortillas with avocado and salsa but eating it with eggs the next morning was fantastic as well. It’s vegan, gluten free and very easy to make. The whole meal is done in the same skillet on the stove and can also be served in skillet as well. Less pots and pans to wash!
Loaded with plant based protein and healthy whole grains this 3 Bean Southwestern quinoa skillet is the perfect meal to refuel you after a tough workout and feed the whole family. You can easily make it as spicy or mild as you wish to meet your family’s needs.
I made the yummiest salad for our mother’s day dinner last night and can’t wait to share it with you soon. Hope you all had a wonderful weekend!