Welcome to the weekly Meatless Monday link up! Sarah and I are glad to have you all join us to check out all the tasty vegetarian eats. This weekend was our monthly Soup Club (see link for details) swap and since we are still having pretty cold days, I am all about big bowls of healthy soup. I have a hearty white bean minestrone today that I hope you will love as much as I do.
I’ve been seeing beautiful looking Swiss chard on the shelves lately but had never cooked with it before. I’m in love! I used the stems chopped up and sauteed with the onion, celery and carrots and then chopped the leaves to add into the white bean minestrone later. Swiss chard is a nutritional powerhouse containing beta-carotene, vitamin E & C, zinc, calcium and iron to name a few.
Use the chopped Swiss chard stems as you would celery and saute with the other veggies. Save the chopped leaves to add into the white bean minestrone soup a few minutes before serving. I’ve also cooked the pasta on the side instead of in with the soup for 2 reasons. First, I find the pasta soaks up too much broth and gets mushy if it is cooked with the soup. It’s easy to add it into each portion as needed. Secondly, this allows you to customize the portion size.
Another fun item I found recently and love are these soup ladles that sit on the edge of your soup pot! They keep the soup from boiling over and also keep your counter top clean from drips. The lazy spoon and lazy ladle come in a set in a few colors you can find them here. (amazon affiliate link). Why didn’t I think of that!?
Not only is my white bean minestrone soup easy to whip up on a weeknight, it is vegetarian, vegan and gluten free ( if you use GF noodles). Everyone’s happy!
White Bean Minestrone
- 1 onion -chopped
- 1 C celery chopped
- 1 C carrot chopped
- 2 garlic cloves-minced
- 3 -5 Swiss Chard leaves (stems chopped and separated from leaves)
- 4 C vegetable broth
- 28 oz can of diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 C Cannelli beans -rinsed and drained
- 1 box of bow tie pasta- prepared according to box directions al dente
- basil, oregano, salt & pepper to taste
- optional garnish- Parm cheese grated on top
- In a large soup pot:
- Saute onion, carrot,celery, garlic and Swiss chard stems for 5 min in a little bit of olive oil
- Add in broth, tomatoes and beans
- Season with above spices
- Bring to a boil then simmer for 30 m
- Add chopped Swiss chard leaves and cook for 10 m
- Serve with a scoop of bow tie pasta if desired
- Garnish with Parm cheese
This White Bean Minestrone soup offers a great healthy combination of protein and carbs hearty enough to satisfy your whole family. Cook up a big pot and eat it for days!