Happy Meatless Monday veggie lovers! Thanks for joining Tina and me to showcase the best veggie recipes this week. I am sticking with the fall veggie theme again this week with some tasty Cranberry & Rice stuffed Acorn Squash. I was given a few samples of Lotus Foods products to try from my friends at Meatless Monday and was looking for something fun to do with them. Today I’ve combined Forbidden black rice & Madagascar pink rice together to give this squash a little pop of color.
I’ve added some more of my fall favorites-pistachios, yellow raisins, cinnamon and nutmeg to create beautiful hearty dish perfect for all of your holiday dinners. The tastes and textures blend so nicely together hope you enjoy!
-Using a little bit of orange or apple juice in the center of the squash as you roast it keeps the squash moist and flavorful. I opted to do that instead of using butter.
-This dish can be prepped ahead and warmed in the oven to serve.
-You can also scrape some of the squash out and mix it back into the rice and re stuff.
- 2 Acorn Squash-sliced in half and seeded
- 1 C Black Rice
- 1 C Madagascar Pink rice (or white rice)
- 1/2 C yellow raisins or currants
- 3/4 C pistachio nuts
- 1 C fresh Cranberry
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 tsp cinnamon & nutmeg
- Pre heat oven to 375
- Place Acorn Squash on a baking dish with a splash of orange juice in the center and roast 20-30 min
- Meanwhile-prepare the 2 types of rice according to package instructions
- Add cranberries to small saucepan w a little water and cook for 5 min until soft set aside
- Combine rice, pistachio, raisins, spices and cranberry in a mixing bowl
- Carefully stuff rice mixture into Acorn Squash and serve
- Note: Can be prepared in advance and warmed in oven to serve