Welcome to another Meatless Monday link up! Throughout the month of December, I will be bringing you Holiday Favorites made healthier. Everyone loves the Hanukkah favorite, Potato Latkes. I’ve made them a little healthier by reducing the oil and swapping in sweet potatoes and zucchini.
Please join Tina Muir and I as we bring you some of the best Vegetarian recipes out there each Monday. Feel free to add your own link and check out all of the great recipes below.
The traditional Potato Latke contains lots of white potatoes, white flour and oil. Not so healthy of a choice these days. I’ve subbed in Sweet Potatoes and Zucchini and used whole wheat bread crumbs and whole wheat flour and reduced the oil. I added some Chipotle peppers to spice it up a bit. They were amazing! (much better than the pictures). I ended up eating the leftovers with an omelet the next morning in a hash brown style. They were perfect. Hope you give them a try.
- 1 small onion
- 2 Zucchini
- 2 Sweet Potatoes (peeled)
- 2 Chipotle peppers in Adobe sauce (w 2 tsp of sauce)
- 2 eggs slightly beaten
- 1 cup Whole Wheat Panko bread crumbs
- 2-3 Tbl of whole wheat flour
- salt, pepper, garlic powder to taste
- Olive Oil for cooking
- In a food processor: shred onion, zucchini, chipotle and sweet potatoes
- Transfer to a mixing bowl
- Add eggs, panko and flour as needed
- Add salt, pepper and garlic powder
- Shape into patties and arrange on a plate
- Heat a large skillet to medium high with Olive Oil (enough to cover bottom of pan)
- Pan fry the Latkes until browned and flip to repeat
- Remove from heat and place on paper towels to absorb any excess oil
- Serve warm and enjoy
These turned out incredible! I tried them topped with avocado and Greek yogurt-yum! I also served them with my omelet the next morning for a delicious breakfast.
What Holiday foods are you enjoying these days? Any favorites you’d like to see me make over healthier?