Thanks for joining me and Sarah for Meatless Monday today. I’ve got another super easy skillet dinner to share with you. Since I love all the flavors of Mexican dishes, I am always looking for new ways to prepare them. I have a lot “on my plate” these next few weeks and I cannot always spend as much time cooking as I’d like. I am working on more simple but tasty weeknight options and this Skillet Black Bean Taco Zoodles recipe has all that and more.
Skillet Black Bean Taco Zoodles
I got a large amount of squash and zucchini again in my weekly Hungry Harvest box and wanted to use it up in a new way. Zoodles (spiralized zucchini/squash) are always a favorite of mine and I find them very filling and satisfying. They can basically take on any flavors that you might fancy. I can’t get enough Mexican inspired foods so I figured why not combine them into one delicious Skillet Black Bean Taco Zoodles meal? Everyone loves tacos!
Just like regular tacos, this recipe is really versatile. If you don’t like black beans, another bean or protein can easily be subbed in. If your family needs a little extra heft, I won’t tell anyone if you add some meat or chicken.
The most important cooking tip of this Skillet Black Bean Taco Zoodles is to make sure that you do not overcook the zoodles. They will be a pile of mush if you cook them too much. I literally steamed them in a small amount of water in the skillet for only 2-3 minutes and then removed them from the pan. Critical step to the success of the meal!
This meal is naturally gluten free, soy free, and can be vegan if you leave off the cheese on top. That should make everyone happy! Inspiration for this week’s Taco Tuesday I hope.
- 4 zucchini/squash (spiralized)
- 1 15 oz can of black beans (rinsed and drained)
- 1 15 oz. can of diced fire roasted tomatoes
- 2 cups of frozen corn
- 1 jalapeno pepper-diced
- 1 red/green pepper diced
- handful of fresh cilantro
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 package of red sodium taco seasoning
- Optional Garnish:
- shredded cheddar cheese
- sour cream
- Heat a large skillet to med high
- Add 1/2 water and zoodles w a sprinkle of salt
- steam for 2-3 min only & remove from pan into a bowl
- DO NOT OVERCOOK
- In the same skillet add:
- coat of olive oil & return to med high
- Add in peppers, jalapeno, and corn saute 3-5 min
- Add in canned tomatoes and beans
- Mix taco seasoning according to package directions add about 1/2 of liquid
- add cilantro and lime juice
- Reduce to simmer
- Right before you are ready to serve, reintroduce zoodles and mix to combine
- Serve with recommended garnish
Zoodles fan? How do you like to make them?
Check out our new Meatless Monday badge! Feel free to add it to your posts and link up with us to share your meatless meal.