Happy Meatless Monday! Thanks for joining me and Sarah today. I could not let summer end without one more tomato inspired recipe. I have been loving all the tomatoes this summer and I hit the farmer’s market yesterday for one last big batch. My favorite ways to enjoy tomatoes are in Greek Salads, Caprese Salads and Panzanella salads. I could not decide which I wanted to make so I combined them all into one. Today’s Greek Panzanella Salad with Tzatziki Dressing hits all of my sweet spots and hopefully yours too!
Greek Panzanella Salad with Tzatziki Dressing
This salad could not be simpler either. Load up on a big bowlful of any type of tomato that looks best at your market. I used a combination of the sweet little yellow tomatoes and some cocktail tomatoes. Then you add in some cucumbers, yellow or red peppers, lettuce and feta. The icing on the cake so to speak is the “panzanella”.
Typically found in Italian style salads, panzanella is simply left over bread added to a tomato based salad. I made a lighter version for my Greek Panzanella Salad today with whole wheat pita. I drizzled it with a little olive oil and added a sprinkle of that everything bagel spice I am obsessed with. I then toasted it up and broke it on top of the salad. Yum! I do love a little crunch on top of my salad. Of course you could leave it off, but really why would you?
Now to the Tzatziki Dressing! I blended up some more cucumbers with a little plain Greek yogurt, lemon, dill and apple cider vinegar. Perfect light and healthy dressing for this salad. I suggest keeping the dressing on the side until ready to serve. I may have eaten this whole salad myself all weekend.
- 4 cups chopped Romaine lettuce
- 3 Cups assorted tomatoes -diced
- 2 large cucumber-diced
- handful of fresh parsley-chopped
- 1 C feta cheese
- 1-2 whole wheat pitas
- 1 Tbl everything bagel spice (or sub w oregano and garlic)
- Oregano, salt and pepper to taste
- juice of one lemon
- Tzatziki Dressing:
- 1 large cucumber-peeled and seeds removed
- 1 Cup non fat Greek yogurt
- handful fresh dill
- 1 Tbl chopped garlic
- 1/4 C Apple cider vinegar
- Combine all salad ingredients into a large bowl
- coat pita with a small amount of olive oil & sprinkle w everything bagel spice
- Toast until crunchy and sprinkle onto salad
- For dressing: add all ingredients into blender and pulse until combined