Thanks for joining Sarah and me for Meatless Monday today. I am all about enjoying all of the great summer produce and finding new combinations and creations with it. When my friend, Gail, gave me some delicious squash from her garden last week, I knew it would be perfect for this Triple Squash & Tomato Pie. Breakfast for dinner? Dinner for breakfast? Either way it’s quite delicious!
Triple Squash & Tomato Pie
What makes this Triple Squash & Tomato Pie so delicious is the the crust is made from Spaghetti Squash-yup you can easily make a crust with spaghetti squash by baking it until it gets crispy then adding all of your other ingredients. The other 2 squash in this pie are yellow squash and green or zucchini squash.
I love to use eggs as one of my vegetarian protein sources and this triple squash & tomato pie is the perfect place for them. I’ve used 6 extra large eggs in here which yields about 5 servings of pie. Pile in some fresh spinach and sweet cherry tomatoes and you are good to go. I have alternated layers of yellow and green squash then topped with the spinach and finished off with tomatoes. I added some feta cheese but it’s totally optional.
I like to make this for dinner and then eat the rest for breakfast during the week. I just cut it into portion sized pieces and then warm it up in the microwave for breakfast. I am more of a savory breakfast eater than a sweet so I find it just perfect.
- 1 Spaghetti Squash (cooked & separated into "spaghetti strands")
- 1 yellow squash-thinly sliced
- 1 green squash (zucchini) thinly sliced
- 6 eggs-whisked
- 10 cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 Cup spinach
- 1/3 cup feta cheese (or goat cheese)
- 3 tbl Parm cheese
- salt, pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425
- spray a pie dish w cooking spray
- drain as much water as possible out of spaghetti squash strands
- mold the spaghetti squash into the pie dish to form a crust
- Sprinkle with Parm cheese
- Bake for 30-40 min until browned and set
- Meanwhile bake sliced squash on a baking sheet for 10 min-remove
- Layer squash into pie dish in 2 layers
- Add spinach (raw)
- Pour on egg mixture
- Top with tomatoes and feta cheese
- Bake 30-40 min until set
- Serve warm
Tell me: Breakfast for dinner? Sweet or savory breakfast eater?