Thanks for joining Sarah and me for Meatless Monday today. After a chilly and rainy May, it’s finally starting to feel like summer around here. Warmer days mean that I am craving more salads and easier meals that have me spending less time in the kitchen. I also want to make sure I am eating a nice balance of carbs and protein to fuel all of my summer adventures. Today’s Sicilian Summer Pasta Salad does just that. It’s super easy to prepare and enjoy as a meal or a side.
Sicilian Summer Pasta Salad
I may have been dreaming about summer in Italy when I came up with the idea for this salad. One summer I’d love to rent a villa and wander the farmer’s markets each day picking up fresh veggies and herbs to create delicious Italian food. I imagine myself finding big, juicy lemons, fresh pasta, radicchio, white beans and robust cheeses. Have I made you hungry yet? Those are the exact foods I combined to create this simple Sicilian Summer Pasta Salad.
I used Farfalle (bow tie) pasta today but any type of small pasta would work including any gluten free substitute. I had everything prepped and ready to go in a matter of minutes while the pasta cooked. I used radicchio for a splash of color and a change of pace but kale could easily be subbed as well. Looking for a vegan dish? Simply omit the Parmesan cheese.
This salad is so full of flavor and color and I wanted to keep the simple aspect with the dressing as well. I literally just used the juice of one whole lemon, a good quality extra virgin olive oil and a white balsamic vinegar. Add in a little salt, pepper, oregano and basil and voila you’ve got yourself one fabulous tasting Sicilian Summer Pasta Salad.
You know I am all about leftovers and this salad makes a great take to work or school meal the next day. This is of course, Meatless Monday, but you could easily add in any other protein if your diet allows. I won’t tell anyone if you won’t.
What summer salads are you enjoying? Do you ever dream about strolling through Italy and cooking local foods?
- 1 box of Farfalle or your favorite pasta cooked according to package & cooled
- 1 head of Radicchio lettuce chopped
- 8 oz of Arugula
- 1 15 oz can of white beans-rinsed & drained
- 1 pint of cherry or grape tomatoes
- 1 6 0z jar of artichoke hearts-halved
- 6 0z of Parmesan, Pecorino or similar Italian cheese cut into chunks (delete for vegan option)
- juice of 1-2 lemons
- 1/2 C high quality EVOO
- 1/2 C white Balsamic
- salt, pepper, oregano & basil to taste
- Cook pasta according to package, drain & allow to cool
- Prepare veggies while pasta is cooking
- In a large bowl combine all ingredients
- Squeeze juice of 1-2 lemons and drizzle on top
- Add olive oil & balsamic & spices
- Mix to combine
- Serve at room temp or chilled