Thanks for joining Sarah and me for Meatless Monday today. As I am getting closer to my race season, I find myself needing some more carbs in my diet. I want to make sure they are high quality carbs paired with lots of plant based protein. That’s where this delicious Tex Mex Brown Rice Salad with Jalapeno Vinaigrette comes in. It’s the perfect blend of carbs, veggie based protein and Tex Mex flavors.
Tex Mex Brown Rice Salad with Jalapeno Vinaigrette
I chose to use brown rice in this dish because it’s quick, easy and gluten free. You could easily use a small pasta such as penne or orzo if you choose. While my brown rice was cooking I prepped all of my ingredients and layered them into a large mixing bowl. I had everything prepped and ready to go by the time my rice was finished.
This Tex Mex Salad has all of my favorite tastes in it: cilantro, lime, avocado and jalapeno. It’s full of plant based protein with edamame, black beans and garbanzo beans to fuel your day.
I often forget about eating jicama. Have you tried this great little veggie? With a texture of a carrot and a mild flavor, it pairs beautifully with the flavors of this Tex Mex Brown Rice Salad and gives a nice little crunchiness. I often find it already pre cut in my grocery store and ready to throw into salads.
You all know I am all about multipurpose foods and this fab salad can be made into a few other meals. Last night I warmed up a big scoop and put it in some tacos. Delicious! Scramble up a few eggs add a scoop and you’ve got a great Huevos Rancheros breakfast or lunch. Grab a tortilla and roll up a fab wrap to take along with you. This Gluten free and vegan Tex Mex Brown Rice salad is the perfect meal to fuel what ever your day has in store.
- 1 Cup of brown rice (cook according to package)
- 1 15 oz can of black beans-rinsed & drained
- 1 15 oz can of Garbanzo beans-rinsed & drained
- 1 Cup of Edamame
- 1 C frozen or fresh corn-drained
- 2 C grape tomatoes-halved
- 1 red & yellow pepper diced
- handful fresh cilantro
- avocado diced
- Jalapeno vinaigrette:
- handful of cilantro
- juice of 1 lime
- 1/4 C apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 C olive oil
- 1-2 jalapeno peppers
- splash of balsamic
- salt & pepper to taste
- optional: 1/2 avocado
- Cook brown rice according to package allow to cool
- Prepare all beans and veggies in a large mixing bowl
- Combine all ingredients and top with avocado when ready to serve
- For dressing:
- Add all ingredients into blender and puree until combined
- Drizzle on salad when ready to eat