Thanks for joining Sarah and me for Meatless Monday again this week. We have had so many gray dreary days that have left me really craving comfort foods. My new obsession is Polenta. It’s just so versatile, hearty and filling. Today, I am sharing with you one of the new recipes I’ve been making. I know you are going to love this Polenta Eggplant Parm Pie.
Why Polenta? Once considered an Italian peasant food, Polenta is now a widely used carb. Made exclusively from corn meal, polenta, is naturally Gluten Free. This wonder carb is also relatively low is calories and high in fiber. Polenta is quick cooking and can be created to be different textures and is often used as a sub for potatoes or bread. Read more about polenta here.
Polenta Eggplant Parm Pie
This Polenta Eggplant Parm Pie is one of those recipes that looks like it took a long time to make but actually took under 45 minutes from start to table. As mentioned, this is gluten free and can easily become vegan if you leave the Parmesan cheese out. You can find Polenta at any grocery store or order it from Amazon. I like Bob’s Red Mill brand.
While the Polenta is cooking on the stove, you can roast the eggplant in the oven. Then do a quick transfer of the polenta to a springform pan to bake it into a “pie crust”. You can easily use a pie dish as well but I just liked the idea of the springform pan which allowed the crust to pop right out.
From there, it’s a quick assembly of the sauce, eggplant, spinach and Parmesan cheese. A short bake in the oven and voila! Ready to serve. I have to say this Polenta Eggplant Parm Pie made amazing leftovers the next day. Some variations would be to use Arugula instead of spinach. I should not say this on meatless Monday but, you could also easily add a “meatlike” protein to this recipe.
I think it makes a great vegetarian main dish or a perfect side dish for the whole family. I even ended up eating some leftovers for breakfast one day. Strange but good! Hope you try it out.
Tell me-Are you a fan of Polenta? How do you usually prepare it?
- 1 C Corn Polenta
- 2 3/4 C vegetable broth
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 C parmesan cheese
- 1/2 C Tomato sauce
- 1/2 Eggplant-thinly sliced
- 1 C spinach-raw
- Olive oil, pepper, garlic powder to taste
- garnish w cherry tomatoes
- Preheat oven to 375
- Place thinly sliced eggplant on baking sheet
- drizzle w olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic powder
- Bake for 20 min until soft
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan add broth and bring to a boil
- Whisk in polenta and salt, reduce to simmer
- Continue to stir until polenta thickens 5-10 min
- Add in Parmesan cheese and remove from heat
- In a springform pan or pie plate, give a spritz of cooking spray
- Pour Polenta into pan and bake for 15 min until solid
- Remove from oven and add tomato sauce, eggplant, spinach and tomatoes
- Drizzle a little more Parmesan cheese return to bake for 5 min
- Optional drizzle of balsamic or olive oil to serve
Also linking up with