Happy Friday! I am in all out Thanksgiving planning mode so you are getting a second recipe this week. The yummy smells of nutmeg and cinnamon are in the air. I still have not narrowed down my whole menu yet however, Sweet potato casserole is always on our table. I believe almost any dish can be made healthier with a few tweaks. Today’s recipe Skinny Sweet Potato Casserole is my healthier take on the classic. Hope you enjoy!
Subbing out the small amount of butter can easily make this side dish vegetarian, vegan and gluten free. I love the smell of the nutmeg and cinnamon swirled into the creamy sweet potatoes sitting in a warm skillet topped with spicy pecans and gooey marshmallows. All of the tastes of Thanksgiving in a healthier version with none of the guilt.
Instead of coating the pecans in butter and sugar, I’ve roasted them with cayenne pepper then sprinkled them on top as more of an accent. You can enjoy the comforting blend of the sweet potato and pecans without the sugary bomb of the classic preparation. No white sugar needed here!
- 3 Sweet Potatoes
- 1/2 C unsweetened almond milk
- 3 Tbl butter (or vegan substitute)
- 3/4 tsp cinnamon and nutmeg
- 1 Tbl vanilla extract
- For the pecan topping"
- 1 C pecans
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
- cooking spray
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 10-12 large marshmallows
- Preheat oven to 375
- Clean & peel sweet potatoes and cut into large chunks
- Add to a stockpot filled w water & a pinch of salt and bring to a boil
- Cook until potatoes are soft about 10 m & transfer to mixing bowl & mash slightly
- Add almond milk, butter, cinnamon, nutmeg & vanilla to mixing bowl and combine until smooth
- Spray a skillet or casserole dish with cooking spray
- Add sweet potatoes
- To prepare pecans:
- On a baking sheet spread out pecans in a single layer
- spray with cooking spray & sprinkle on cayenne, nutmeg, cinnamon & allspice
- bake 10-15 min
- Chop pecans and sprinkle on top of sweet potatoes
- Layer marshmallows and broil until marshmallows brown (2 min or so)
- Potatoes can be prepared in advance and pecans & marshmallows added a la minute
This Skinny Sweet Potato Casserole was so yummy I guarantee you guests won’t even know you’ve “healthied” it up a little. The ooey gooey marshmallows nestled on top of the bed of pecans & sweet potatoes was fabulous. They provided just enough sweetness without being overpowering. Hope you enjoy!
This year, I have another vegetarian joining us for Thanksgiving and I couldn’t be happier! I will be sharing my Vegetarian main dish on Meatless Monday-stay tuned!
Tell me-Have you planned your menu yet? Do you try to plan healthy sides or just go all out on Thanksgiving?