Happy Meatless Monday! Thanks for joining Sarah and I to check out all the veggie goodness today. I am so loving all of the fall foods and smells and one of my favorite fall foods is sweet potato. It seems like fall holidays always have some sort of sweet potato pie involved but let’s face it, those are not always the healthiest. I’ve taken all the yummy spices and flavors from the classic dish and put them into delicious Sweet Potato Pie Muffins.
Side note: I am moving this week and my kitchen is kind of in disarray so these pictures are not up to my usual standards. Trust me the Sweet Potato Pie Muffins are so worth it, they just don’t photograph that well.
The fall spices are just my favorite. I love the smells cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg and cloves and that’s what gives these babies their delicious taste. Sometimes I wish we had smell-o-vision!
My husband and son thought they were amazing until I made the mistake of telling them that they were sweet potatoes. Live and learn! With added protein powder, these sweet potato pie muffins are a perfect pre or post workout snack or delicious coffee accompaniment.
Traditional Sweet Potato Pie is loaded with marshmallows and sugary, caramelized pecans which can up the calorie count quite a bit. I’ve added a mini marshmallow and one pecan to each muffin to give you a little taste of the good stuff. I have replaced the sugar with pure maple syrup so they come out of the oven moist and delicious. Hope you try them out!
- 1 3/4 cup of flour of your choice
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp each of allspice, cloves and nutmeg
- 1/3 C protein powder of choice
- 1/4 C veg oil
- 1/2 C pure maple syrup
- 1 C mashed sweet potatoes (about 2 med sized-skin removed)
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 C marshmallows
- 4 oz pecan halves
- Preheat oven to 325
- In a med bowl whisk together:
- flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, salt, allspice, cloves, nutmeg and protein powder
- Microwave sweet potatoes until soft, remove skin and mash
- In a mixing bowl add oil, maple syrup, sweet potatoes and eggs and combine
- Add in flour mixture and combine
- place mini muffin liners into pan
- place about 1/4 C of batter into each mini muffin
- insert one marshmallow and a pecan into each muffin
- Bake approx 16 min until firm
Tell me: Does your family like to serve Sweet Potato Pie for the holidays? What are your favorite fall spices?