Thanks for joining Sarah and me for Meatless Monday today! I am continuing on my theme of preparing easy, cold dishes that I can enjoy for lunch or dinner for a few days. With this heat, I do not want to be cooking everyday for sure! Today, I am sharing my twist on a Greek Pasta Salad that I know you will love. It’s simple and oh so yummy.
To me, Greek Salads just scream summer. I took all of my favorite ingredients of a Greek Salad and added some pasta to make it more of a meal. This Greek Pasta Salad is full of color and protein and is sure to satisfy your hunger. The best part is that you can make a big batch of it and then have it for lunch for a few days. Win in my book! I love coming home and knowing lunch is ready and waiting for me.
In case your keeping track, this Greek Pasta Salad can be gluten free (by using GF pasta) and vegan by omitting the feta cheese. Everyone is happy!
A couple of cook’s notes:
I used spiralized cucumbers to give a fun twist to the Greek Pasta Salad. Also works well with regular diced cucumbers. If you do spiralize your cucumbers, I like to throw on a little salt and let them drain a little water out before adding them to salads. Keeps the pasta salad from getting watery.
Another tip, if you are not eating the salad right away, leave the romaine lettuce off until ready to serve. The lettuce can get a little soggy if you leave it in.
I like to use Apple cider vinegar for these types of salads over a balsamic as I find it blends really well with the cucumbers and cheese.
- 12 oz box of penne or pasta of choice (cooked according to package and cooled)
- 2 large cucumbers (spiralized or diced)
- 2 pints of grape or cherry tomatoes (red or yellow) halved
- 6 oz of feta cheese chopped
- 4 C chopped Romaine lettuce
- 1 15 oz can of chick peas-rinsed and drained
- 8 pepperoncini
- 2 red peppers-cut into bite sized pieces
- juice of 1 lemon
- basil, oregano, salt & pepper to taste
- 1/2 C apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 C high quality EVOO
- Cook pasta according to box, rinse with cool water and drain
- Add all ingredients into large mixing bowl
- Drizzle with olive oil, lemon and apple cider vinegar
- toss to coat and sprinkle with oregano, basil, salt & pepper