Happy Meatless Monday! It’s starting to feel a lot like spring around here this week and some of my favorite spring recipes include lots of grilled veggies. I am all about making something for dinner that I can eat for lunch the next day as well. This Roasted Veggie Pasta with tomato vinegarette is perfect for just that!
My friends over at Meatless Monday and Modern Table sent me over this (new to me) Mixed Lentil Penne to test out. It’s made from green and red lentil flour and thus is gluten free and also very high in protein (14 g per serving). They have some great options for GF and veggie lovers. Check it out here.
I mentioned that I love to make something for dinner that I can eat again and that’s what I love about this Roasted Veggie pasta salad with tomato vinegarette. This meal is great warm or cold. I had it for dinner and then the next day put it on top of spinach salad for a great post run refuel. Now that I am running more, I am looking for quality carbs to fuel my runs and help me recover afterwards. This pasta is loaded with plant based protein and carbs. You can of course use any type of pasta you choose.
Today I’ve used roasted eggplant, yellow and red peppers and tomatoes but any veggies you have in the fridge will work. It would be great with some zucchini or squash as well. I have the option of adding fresh mozzarella on top because well cheese-yum!
Roasted Veggie Pasta Salad with Tomato Vinegarette
The dressing is made out of the roasted tomatoes, balsamic and olive oil which pairs deliciously with the eggplant especially.
- 1 package of your favorite penne pasta
- 1 large eggplant-cubed with skin on
- 1 red and 1 yellow pepper-seeded and cut into bite size pieces
- 4 oz mozzarella cheese -optional
- 2-3 cups of cherry or grape tomatoes
- 1/4 cup good quality balsamic
- 1/3 cup olive oil plus more for drizzle on veggies
- 1 tbl apple cider vinegar
- 1 garlic clove-minced
- 1/2 tsp mustard powder
- salt, pepper, basil to taste
- Cook pasta according to package
- Meanwhile preheat oven to 375
- Arrange veggie on baking sheet and drizzle w olive oil, salt, pepper
- Bake for approx 20 min until soft
- Place 1/2 cup of tomatoes aside & place remaining in food processor with balsamic, oil, garlic, vinegar & mustard
- pulse to combine and season with salt and pepper to taste
- Mix roasted veggies & remaining tomatoes into pasta and drizzle with dressing
- top with mozzarella if desired
- Can be eaten warm or as a salad
You can easily add other proteins to this salad to suit your family’s needs. Hope you enjoy!
Do you prefer hot or cold pastas?