Like many of you, I was hit by the big blizzard last weekend. So what’s a Meatless Monday blogger to do? That’s right-I “cooked up a storm” all weekend and I have lots of new recipes to share with you. I love a good breakfast but don’t always have the time on a weekday to cook as I’d like to. I am a big fan of breakfasts that I can make ahead and eat for a few days thus these Sweet Potato Salsa Egg Muffins were created.
Sarah and I are so excited to have you all join us for Meatless Monday today. We hope you will check out all the tasty links below. I was looking for a hearty, healthy breakfast option and remembered how good the sweet potato and egg combo is. (you might like this one too) What makes these Sweet potato salsa egg muffins so yummy is the bed of crispy sweet potato on the bottom of each muffin.
I shredded the sweet potatoes and packed them into the muffin tins with a little egg and cheddar to bind them. They bake into crispy shells for about 20 minutes before being filled up with the yummy black beans, salsa, spinach, cheese and eggs.
After the sweet potatoes are crispy and ready, I have filled them with black beans, salsa, spinach, cheese and eggs. The whole recipes uses 6 eggs for the muffins and 2 eggs for the sweet potato crust thus providing a little over 1/2 egg per muffin. The key to these is really letting the sweet potatoes crisp up before you add in the veggies and eggs.
Sweet Potato Salsa Egg Muffins
- For the sweet potato shell:
- l large sweet potato shredded
- 2 eggs-whisked
- 1/2 C shredded Cheddar
- For the muffins:
- 6 large eggs-whisked
- splash of milk
- 1/2 C black beans
- 1 C spinach
- 1/2 C salsa
- 1/2 C cheese
- Preheat oven to 400
- Place shredded potatoes in a bowl with 2 eggs and 1/2 C cheese and combine
- Spray muffin tin with cooking spray
- Evenly divide potato mixture into muffin tins and press down to form shell shape
- Bake 20 m until potatoes crisp up
- remove from oven and reduce temp to 375
- Add about 1 Tbl of black beans into each muffin
- Continue adding salsa, spinach and cheese evenly
- Pour egg mixture into muffins evenly
- Bake for about 20 min until muffins are firm
- Eggs muffins can be cooled and individually wrapped to eat for days
Not only is this breakfast easy to make ahead and enjoy all week, these Sweet Potato Salsa Egg Muffins are vegetarian, gluten free and if you leave the cheese out paleo. Everyone’s happy! Hope you give them a try and I guarantee you will enjoy having them ready to eat in the morning.
This post is also linked up with AnnMarie @ Thefitfoodiemama