Happy Monday veggie lovers! With lots of people having the day off today, it’s the perfect time to think about meal planning and prep for the week. I keep seeing lots of recipes for the big game parties and awards shows but they often look so unhealthy. Typically, there are lots of Buffalo wings recipes floating around and I realized that I could easily make a healthy, vegetarian option. So today I bring you my version of Buffalo Quinoa bites with a blue cheese yogurt dip. Sarah and I are happy to have you join us for Meatless Monday today.
The best part of buffalo wings is the buffalo sauce right? In my opinion, the sauce should be spicy but not too spicy. I like to taste my food without it being overwhelmed by spice. I’ve used the Frank’s buffalo sauce in my recipe but your favorite brand will do. To keep the quinoa from getting too dried out, I’ve added a little bite of mozzarella cheese in the center. When you bite into the quinoa, you are rewarded with a warm oozy burst of mozzarella. Yummy!
I’ve also used gluten free panko bread crumbs to give some extra crunch to the bites. Adding some hemp hearts to the mix gives the Buffalo Quinoa bites a extra bump in protein.
One of the best parts of buffalo wings is the blue cheese dip of course! I’ve created an easy to make dip with yogurt and blue cheese and it’s a fantastic way to enjoy more carrots and celery. I find that regular plain yogurt tastes better than Greek Yogurt for this recipe.
- For quinoa bites:
- 1 Cup Quinoa-cooked according to package
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 C buffalo wing sauce
- 1/4 C hemp hearts
- 3/4 C gluten free panko bread crumbs
- 4 cheese sticks-cut into bite size pieces
- salt, pepper, garlic powder to taste
- For dip:
- 8 oz plain yogurt
- 6 oz blue cheese crumbles
- squeeze lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 400
- In a large bowl combine all quinoa bites ingredients and mix to combine
- Form into bites of about 2 tablespoons each
- Insert a bite of mozzarella into each bite and roll to seal inside
- Spray with cooking spray
- Bake 10 min and flip over, spray again and bake for another 10 m
- Meanwhile, mix together blue cheese, yogurt and lemon
- Serve warm
I had lots of extra Buffalo Quinoa Bites and guess what? They are also perfect to eat for breakfast with eggs. Bonus!