Happy Meatless Monday! I am just returning from a fabulous, whirlwind weekend in Vegas. We flew out with a bunch of my husband’s friends to celebrate his 50th birthday. I am going to try to recap all our fun later this week so stay tuned. I know I am looking forward to getting back on my regular eating plan for sure! I started making this fun Holiday Funfetti Rice dish a few months back and I think it makes the perfect Holiday Side.
With Tina away on her honeymoon this month, I have Sarah co hosting with me today. Please visit her over on Tina’s blog today too!
This Holiday Funfetti rice dish is bursting with the flavors of tumeric, cumin and paprika and filled with texture from dried fruits and nuts. It makes a perfect side for your Holiday entertaining. It’s super easy to make and you probably have most of the ingredients in your pantry already. This Mediterranean inspired dish will please the vegetarians, vegan and gf guests alike.
I like to volunteer to bring sides to family get togethers so that I am ensured that I will have a healthy vegetarian option for myself. You never really know what the host might be serving but rice dishes like this one pair very nicely with most main dishes. The pop of color is great too!
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp tumeric, cumin, pepper and cinnamon
- Olive oil
- 1 cup of carrots diced
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 10 dried apricots
- 1/4 cup dried cherries
- 1/4 c pistachio nuts
- 1 cup Basmati rice
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
- Orange zest
- combine spices together in a small bowl
- Add olive oil to sauce pan on medium high
- Saute rice with spices 2-3 minutes
- Add water (amount determined by typed of rice used. Consult rice package)
- Bring to a boil, cover and simmer on low for 20 min
- Remove from heat and let sit for 10 min
- Fluff rice with a fork
- Add dried fruits and nuts
- Zest orange on top
- sprinkle with pomegranate seeds and serve