Happy Meatless Monday! I am in all out Thanksgiving planning mode this week! The yummy smells of nutmeg and cinnamon are in the air. Some of the more traditional Thanksgiving dishes are typically very caloric but I believe almost any dish can be made healthier with a few tweaks. Today’s recipe Skinny Sweet Potato Casserole is my take on the classic. Hope you enjoy!
Please join Tina and me to celebrate all of the veggie goodness this week. Remember to check out some of the other recipes in the linkup as well. It’s always fun to discover new blogs.
Subbing out the small amount of butter makes this side dish vegetarian, vegan and gluten free. I love the nutmeg and cinnamon swirled into the creamy sweet potatoes sitting in a warm skillet topped with spicy pecans and gooey marshmallows. All of the tastes of Thanksgiving in a healthier version with none of the guilt.
Instead of coating the pecans in butter and sugar, I’ve roasted them with cayenne pepper then sprinkled them on top as more of an accent. You can enjoy the comforting blend of the sweet potato and pecans without the sugary bomb of the classic preparation.
- 3 Sweet Potatoes
- 1/2 C unsweetened almond milk
- 3 Tbl butter (or vegan substitute)
- 3/4 tsp cinnamon and nutmeg
- 1 Tbl vanilla extract
- For the pecan topping"
- 1 C pecans
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
- cooking spray
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 10-12 large marshmallows
- Preheat oven to 375
- Clean & peel sweet potatoes and cut into large chunks
- Add to a stockpot filled w water & a pinch of salt and bring to a boil
- Cook until potatoes are soft about 10 m & transfer to mixing bowl & mash slightly
- Add almond milk, butter, cinnamon, nutmeg & vanilla to mixing bowl and combine until smooth
- Spray a skillet or casserole dish with cooking spray
- Add sweet potatoes
- To prepare pecans:
- On a baking sheet spread out pecans in a single layer
- spray with cooking spray & sprinkle on cayenne, nutmeg, cinnamon & allspice
- bake 10-15 min
- Chop pecans and sprinkle on top of sweet potatoes
- Layer marshmallows and broil until marshmallows brown (2 min or so)
- Potatoes can be prepared in advance and pecans & marshmallows added a la minute