Happy Meatless Monday! I am so excited to debut my new blog layout today. I made a few changes that I am really excited about especially my new recipe index above. You can now find all of my recipes a lot easier and they are all categorized. More Meatless Monday! Thanks to Janice aka Fitness Cheerleader for the amazing blog help.
Please join Tina and me as we check out all the fabulous veggie love today! I have been totally obsessed with butternut squash and with soup so naturally I put them together this Roasted Butternut Squash Soup. Yesterday happened to me our monthly Soup Club swap. (Read about it here) Last month I made Tortilla Soup and was looking to take advantage of the all of the fall goodies this time.
A trick I used for this Roasted Butternut Squash soup was to roast not only the squash but the granny smith apples and carrots as well before adding them to the crock pot. I wish this blog could have “smell o vision” because the apples caramelized and created the most delicious smelling aroma. I believe this gives the soup so much added flavor. If you can take the extra few minutes to roast the ingredients first, you won’t be disappointed.
I roasted some Pumpkin seeds while I was at with a little smoked paprika-yummy! Perfect to throw right on top of the soup. It’s easy-just coat with olive oil and paprika and roast 10-15 min on 375. They make great snacks too. When you carve those pumpkins this week-keep the seeds!
- 2 lbs of Butternut Squash-cleaned & cubed
- 1 Granny Smith apple-peeled & cored
- 1 cup baby carrots
- 1 onion-quartered
- 32 oz low sodium vegetable stock
- 1 tsp thyme, cinnamon & nutmeg
- 1-2 tsp Paprika
- salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375
- coat squash, carrots, onion & apples with olive oil, salt & pepper
- Roast for 20 min until soft
- Transfer to crock pot or stock pot
- Add vegetable broth and spices
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer (or leave in crock pot for 3-4 hours on low)
- With an immersion blender or reg blender puree soup
- Add more paprika if desired
- Sprinkle with pumpkin seeds and serve