Happy Meatless Monday! I have been sort of obsessed with soups lately and I am loving playing around with the fall flavors to create different versions of my faves. This Roasted Butternut Squash Soup is so easy to make and delivers a great punch of flavor your family will enjoy.
Adding in roasted Granny Smith Apples gives a subtle sweet and tart flavor on the back end of the soup. My Roasted Butternut Squash soup is sugar free, gluten free and vegan so everyone is happy and well fed with this pot of goodness.
Cook’s notes: A trick I used for this Roasted Butternut Squash soup was to roast not only the squash but the granny smith apples and carrots as well, before adding them to the crock pot. I wish this blog could have “smell o vision” because the apples caramelized and created the most delicious smelling aroma. I believe this gives the soup so much added flavor. If you can take the extra few minutes to roast the ingredients first, you won’t be disappointed.
I roasted some Pumpkin seeds while I was at with a little smoked paprika-yummy! Perfect to throw right on top of the soup. It’s easy-just coat with olive oil and paprika and roast 10-15 min on 375. They make great snacks too. When you carve those pumpkins this week-keep the seeds!
- 2 lbs of Butternut Squash-cleaned & cubed
- 1 Granny Smith apple-peeled & cored
- 1 cup baby carrots
- 1 onion-quartered
- 32 oz low sodium vegetable stock
- 1 tsp thyme, cinnamon & nutmeg
- 1-2 tsp Paprika
- salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375
- coat squash, carrots, onion & apples with olive oil, salt & pepper
- Roast for 20 min until soft
- Transfer to crock pot or stock pot
- Add vegetable broth and spices
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer (or leave in crock pot for 3-4 hours on low)
- With an immersion blender or reg blender puree soup
- Add more paprika if desired
- Sprinkle with pumpkin seeds and serve
As noted in the recipe, this can be made in a crock pot ( I love this one) or in a stock pot. The roasted Granny Smith apples really add lots of flavor. Hope you enjoy!
My soup club is in full swing and no doubt I will be whipping up a big pot of my Roasted Butternut Squash Soup to share with my friends. Interested in starting your own soup club check out how we run ours here.