Happy Meatless Monday! Now that it is officially fall, I am excited to start sharing some of my favorite autumnal recipes with you all. Just a side note, I have a philosophical boycott of all things pumpkin until October 1st. Things are a little pumpkin crazy of late! Anyway, today I am sharing one of my favorites with you, Southwestern Spaghetti Squash Boats. So please jump in and join Tina and I for Meatless Monday.
I love love Spaghetti Squash! It’s really so easy to make and very versatile. Removing it from the shell and mixing in lots of veggie goodness before stuffing it back in is my favorite way to enjoy it.
A couple of cook’s notes:
-I find it easiest to cook the spaghetti squash in the microwave. I cut them in half, scrape out the seeds and place them face down in a casserole dish. Add about 2 inches of water and cover with plastic wrap. Microwave until soft and squash can be removed with a fork approx. 10-14 min.
-When removing the squash, take care not to scrape down too far as it will cause the “boats” to be unstable and break.
-The cheese can easily be left off of top for a vegan alternative. These are a great balance of protein and carbs.
- 1 large spaghetti squash
- 2 c spinach
- 1/2 c corn
- 15 oz can of diced tomatoes
- 1/4 c salsa
- 1 c black beans
- 1/2 c cheddar cheese (optional)
- Wash, cut and clean out seeds from squash
- Place face down in casserole dish w 2 in of water & cover w plastic wrap
- Microwave approx 10-15 min until squash is soft & can be scraped out
- Meanwhile, saute spinach until soft
- Add in corn, tomatoes, beans, salsa
- salt, pepper, garlic & red pepper to taste
- Remove " spaghetti" from shell taking care to leave the "boat" intact'
- Mix squash with veggie mixture
- Stuff back into squash boats
- Top with cheese and bake at 350 for 20m