Happy Meatless Monday! Wow hard to believe that we are already into August. When it is this hot out, I typically go for lighter dinners that often do not involve cooking too much. I came up with this recipe as a kind of healthier twist on a traditional Waldorf Salad by spiralizing the apples and serving them in lettuce wraps with walnuts, blue cheese & beets. I think it’s perfect for a light lunch or side dish for dinner or bbq. By the way if you don’t have a veggie spiralizer yet, what are you waiting for?? I love this one.
While my friend Tina is off and running to the altar these next few weeks, I have Debbie (Coach Debbie Runs) co hosting with me today. The 2 Debs! Please make sure to jump over and check out her recipe as well.
I recently had the opportunity to do an Olive Oil & Vinegar tasting with the fabulous Cary owner of AhLoveOil & Vinegar. She has 3 locations in the Washington, DC area as well as mail/phone orders so don’t feel left out.
I have been a fan of good quality flavored olive oils and vinegars for a while now but had no idea about all of the classifications and production of olive oil. It was fascinating really to have the opportunity to taste so many different flavor combinations and learn, from Cary, how to pair them with foods. If you have ever done a wine tasting, it is very similar. We discussed the process of making extra virgin olive oil as well as the health benefits. She explained to me how different the olive oil is that you might find in your grocery store. Find more info on choosing olive oil here.
After tasting so many yummy flavors, I settled on a Lemon olive oil and Green Apple white balsamic vinegar and set out to create a fun easy recipe using them. My version of Waldorf Lettuce wraps was a perfect compliment. You can use any good quality balsamic or olive oil for this recipe however it’s really fun to cook with the flavored ones. Hope you enjoy!
- 4-6 lettuce wraps
- 1 Granny Smith apple
- 1 red of apple of your choice
- 4 oz of walnut pieces (unsalted)
- 4 oz good quality blue cheese
- 2 cooked beets cut into quarters (can use pre packaged-cooked)
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1-2 Tbl of Lemon Olive Oil
- 3 Tbl Green Apple white Balsamic vinegar ( or sub white balsamic of your choice)
- juice of 1/2 lemon or lime to keep apples from browning
- Wash & arrange lettuce wraps on platter & set aside
- Spiralize the apples and add to mixing bowl
- squeeze juice of lemon or lime onto apples
- Drizzle in olive oil and vinegar
- Add a pinch of salt and pepper and combine
- Add in walnuts and blue cheese
- Spoon into lettuce wraps
- top with cubed beets
- Chill for 30 min or serve immediately
Thanks again to Carey for letting me sample all the wonderful oils & vinegars with her. If you have questions, please check out her site.
Flavored Oils & Vinegars -what do you think? Spiralized apples?