Happy almost Cinco de Mayo! I am celebrating my sharing my new recipe for Black Bean & Spinach Tortilla pie. I whipped this up for my Ragnar Team’s last planning meeting yesterday and it was a big hit. We are getting ready to hit the road and head up to Boston on Thursday to run the Ragnar Cape Cod.
Packed with eggs, beans, spinach and tortillas it provides a ton of yummy protein. It’s super easy to assemble the night before and heat up in the morning for a brunch. I’ve also been known to eat it for dinner.
Please join me and my fabulously fast co host, Tina, for this week’s Meatless Monday link up. It would be great if you all could stop by some of the other blogs and spread the Meatless Monday love.
- 1 c salsa
- 1 15 oz can of black beans, rinsed and drained
- 18 corn tortillas
- 2 c of shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 c low fat sour cream
- 1 C skim milk
- 6 oz bag of fresh baby spinach
- 4 extra large eggs, 4 extra large egg whites
- salt & pepper
- Spray an 9 x 13 inch casserole dish with cooking spray
- Add beans and 1/2 c of salsa to food processor and pulse until combined
- Place 6 tortillas on the bottom of the dish overlapping slightly
- Spread 1/2 of the bean mixture onto the tortillas
- sprinkle on half of the spinach (uncooked)
- Add half of the remaining salsa
- /3 of the cheese
- Repeat this w another layer of tortilla, beans & salsa & cheese
- Add the last layer of tortillas
- Whisk together eggs, egg whites, sour cream, milk, salt & pepper
- Pour mixture over top of casserole
- top with remaining cheese
- Cover with foil and chill at least 2 hours or overnight
- pre heat oven to 350
- Bake covered for 20 m
- uncover and bake an additional 15-20 min until set and slightly brown on top
- Let cool for 5 min before slicing
We toasted our upcoming race with a few mimosas-I know not very Cinco De Mayo but it works! Looking forward to crazy fun times with these ladies.
How are you celebrating Cinco De Mayo? Margaritas or Mimosas?