Happy Monday! Wow these weeks seem to be flying by for me-how about you? You may know from some of my previous posts how much I love hummus, Harissa and Mediterranean foods. I also love Falafel but the traditional preparation is not so healthy. I saw something on Food Network last week about Falafel made into waffles. What?! I had to try it. I kind of just made up this recipe based on my traditional falafel recipe and it was AMAZING!
Please join Tina Muir and I for The Meatless Monday link up. A gentle reminder to please check out some of the other blogs and recipes as well.
Not only is this Fa Waffle fabulous tasting, it is fabulously healthy. High protein, low fat, vegetarian, gluten free-you can’t go wrong. Traditionally served with pita, this version doesn’t really need the bread. I topped it with a fresh tomato, cucumber & feta salad, hummus and a Tahini Harissa sauce. Sometimes this salad is called Israeli salad, Lebanese salad or Greek salad-I am going with Peace Salad. My meat loving husband even leaned over and asked me for a bite! That’s got to count for something. Hope you give it a try. It was delish!
- 2 15 oz cans of chick peas-rinsed and drained
- handful of fresh cilantro and parsley
- 1-2 garlic cloves
- ½ green or red pepper
- 1 egg
- juice of ½ lemon
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1-2 tbl of flour of your choice to bind
- 1 tsp cumin & coriander
- pepper to taste
- Tahini Harissa sauce
- ¼ c Tahini
- ¼ cup warm water
- juice from ½ lemon
- 2 tsp Harissa
- -Stir to combine
- For falafel:
- add cilantro, parsley and garlic into food processor and pulse
- add remaining ingredients (except for egg and flour) into food processor and pulse until combined
- Mix in egg and flour of choice
- Heat waffle maker per instructions
- Spray with non stick spray or coat w oil of your choice
- Divide batter into 3 portions and add 1 at a time into waffle maker
- Top with Tahini sauce and peace salad
Fa-Waffles! What do you think? Ever made anything non traditional in your waffle maker? How’s Rock Your Core Challenge going?
Don’t forget to check back tomorrow for all the Week 3 info you need. Can’t wait to see all your photos this week.