Happy Meatless Monday! So glad that you are joining me and Tina to check out all of the great recipes this week. Although it’s officially spring, it really doesn’t feel like around here. Sometimes you are just craving some comfort food and carbs. I came up with this twist on a classic Mac n Cheese sort of by accident and it was so good I just had to share.
I used a brown rice pasta to make it GF friendly but would work well with any pasta of your choice. I stuffed the Smokey Mac N Cheese into a Green Pepper for a little color and also prepared some in a traditional bowl. Your choice! It was so yummy both ways. The BBQ tofu on top really kicks up the protein and makes it a complete meal. Hope you enjoy!
- 8 oz bag of pasta of your choice (I used brown rice rotini)
- for the roux:
- 2 tbl of flour
- 2 tbl butter
- 2 1/4 C of warm skim milk
- 1/2 tsp of smoked paprika
- squirt of siracha
- Cheese sauce:
- 8 oz smoked Gouda-shredded
- 4 oz sharp cheddar-shredded
- For tofu:
- 1 package of extra firm tofu-drained and diced into bite size pieces
- 1/2 C spicy BBQ sauce (I used Stubbs)
- 2 large Green or Red peppers (cleaned and kept whole)
- Pre heat oven to 375
- Prepare pasta as directed and set aside
- Parboil pepper for 3-5 min allow to cool (can be done in advance)
- Bake tofu for 25 min stirring halfway (can be done in advance)
- Meanwhile, prepare roux by melting butter in skillet, add flour and whisk together
- Add warm milk and whisk until smooth.
- Allow to thicken while stirring about 15 m
- Add spices and cheese stir to combine
- Add in pasta and combine
- Stuff cheese mixture into pepper or casserole dish
- Bake for 20 min until top browns
- Add tofu back on top and bake 5 more min
If you haven’t entered my Yoplait $15 paypal giveaway yet, you can here
What are you craving this week?