Happy Meatless Monday friends! I am traveling to Indiana University today for a parent orientation with my daughter so I have a short post for you. I am sharing one of my favorite go to recipes, my Favorite Tomato Sauce. It’s not just any sauce-it’s jam packed with tons of veggie goodness. The best part is that the veggies are hidden so if you have any picky eaters in your house, they probably won’t notice them at all. Please join Tina Muir and I for this week’s Meatless Monday recipes. Share some, find some and meet new friends.
What I love about this sauce is that it’s so versatile. I use it on pasta, spaghetti squash, flat bread and even omelets. It’s packed full of veggies for a hearty taste. The trick is to roast up a pan of your favorite veggies and puree them in with the sauce. My favorites are eggplant and baby bella mushrooms. This way you create a thicker, heartier sauce that’s full of flavor. It’s simple to make but oh so delicious.
- 1 large or 2 baby eggplant-peeled and sliced ¼ in thick
- 1 zucchini-sliced
- 1 package of Baby Bella mushrooms
- 1 large red or orange pepper-seeded and quatered
- 2 28 oz cans San Marzano tomatoes (whole or diced)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 onion-diced
- Olive oil, salt, pepper, red pepper, Oregano, basil,
- Pre heat oven to 375
- lay out veggies and garlic closes on baking sheet & sprinkle with olive oil, salt & pepper
- Roast until softened-about 15 min
- Remove from oven and allow to cool to room temp
- In a large stock pot-
- Saute onion in olive oil
- Working in small batches puree veggies with tomatoes in a food processor
- Return each batch to stock pot until all veggies are blended
- Season with salt, pepper, oregano, basil and red pepper
- Bring to a low boil then reduce to low and allow to simmer for at least 45 min
- Serve a top pasta, spaghetti squash, pizza, eggs etc & enjoy
I love tomato sauce on just about everything! I like to cook up a batch and freeze half for later because you never know when a snow day might hit and you need to make a pizza. This recipe is suitable for vegetarian, vegan, GF, low carb, Paleo and just about everyone!