I’ve heard so much about Hemp Hearts the past few months and honestly I think I was the only vegetarian who had never tried them. I was offered a sample of Manitoba Hemp Hearts through my association with Sweat Pink and asked to create an original recipe with them. All opinions are my own.
What are Hemp Hearts?
First of all, Hemp is a species of Cannabis sativa. No, hemp is not the same as marijuana.
So what to do with them??
First I tasted them plain and found them to have a mild sunflower seed or pine nut taste. The Hemp Hearts are raw and shelled and have a similar texture from what you would expect from any crushed nut. They are designed to be used in recipes to bump up the veggie protein or sprinkled on top of salads, yogurt or cereal.
Secondly I cooked with them. I have a favorite Pumpkin Muffin recipe that I thought they would go perfectly with. I added them right into the batter and they added a slight nutty flavor that paired really well. I’d love to share it with you.
- 4 Tbl butter
- 1 1/2 C whole wheat flour (or flour of your choice)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground allspice
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1 1/2 C of sugar or substitute
- 1/4 C vegetable oil
- 1 15 oz can of pure pumpkin puree
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 C water
- 1 oz Manitoba Hemp Hearts
- Pre heat oven to 350 and line a muffin tin w papers
- In a small bowl combine: flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, Hemp Hearts, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice & cloves
- In a mixer beat together: butter, sugar and oil until fluffy about 1 minute
- Add pumpkin, eggs and mix to combine
- Slowly add flour mixture and water until combined
- Evenly pour batter into muffin tins and bake for 20-22 min until toothpick comes out clean
- Let cool
- Can be frozen for later enjoyment
I like to individually wrap the muffins and freeze them to use later. I pair them with a Greek yogurt for a great pre or post workout snack.
#FuelledbyHemp #SweatPink #ManitobaHarvest
Have you ever tried Hemp Hearts? What’s your favorite way to enjoy them?