Happy Meatless Monday! I made this fabulous Tempeh Rice Noodle salad for our Super Bowl party and it was a big hit. I’d love to share it with you. Please join Tina Muir and I for the Meatless Monday linkup. Check out some new blogs and feel free to add your own links as well.
I was a little afraid to experiment with Tempeh but now that I have, I am loving it. It’s a nutritional powerhouse! One serving of Tempeh has:
- 18 grams of Protein .
- Zero sugar
- 1 gram of saturated fat
- low sodium
- 5. High potassium
- low calorie (140 c)
- Great source of iron
One of the tricks I used with the Tempeh was to boil it, then simmer for 10 minutes followed by marinating it. This really improved the texture and allowed the marinade to saturate.
- Tempeh Marinade:
- 1/4 C rice vinegar
- 4 tbl red sodium soy sauce (or gf substitute)
- 1 tbl chili garlic paste
- 1 tsp garlic chopped
- 1 tsp of ginger paste or fresh ginger
- 1 package of Tempeh-cut into bite size chunks
- 1 package of Rice Noodles-cook according to directions, rinse with cool water and drain
- 1 c edamame
- 2 c red & yellow peppers quatered
- 1/3 c sesame oil
- splash Ponzu
- siracha to taste
- 1 tsp ginger paste & garlic chopped
- sesame seeds and cashews to garnish
- Bring a small pot of water to a boil, drop in Tempeh and simmer for 10 min
- Remove from heat and drain
- Pour marinade over top and refrigerate for at least 1 hr.
- Cook Rice Noodles according to package, drain and cool
- Add in edamame and peppers
- Saute Tempeh on medium heat to carmelize the marinade and brown each side
- Add marinated Tempeh with the left over marinade to salad
- Combine sesame oil, ponzu, siracha, giner & garlic and pour over top
- Garnish with sesame seeds and cashews
- Serve room temperature
Have you tried Tempeh? What do you think?